• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for New Yorkers (looking for opinions)

sweisman

Reaction score
Looking for opinions...I have two reservations to choose between two hotels, priced similiarly. One is the POD at E. 51st Street between 2nd and 3rd ave. and the 2nd is the Algonquin at W. 44th near 5th ave in the Theater District (this one is the bigger discount as I got it at around half the going rate, bringing it down to the price of the Pod). Seeing as that this is an Anniversary trip for my wife and I and we want to stay in the nicest area we can afford, are there any pros or cons to these two areas. The Algonquin seems to be more centrally located and maybe better for walking around at night, but not being familiar with the area I'm not sure.

Where would you stay between these two choices of neighborhood and hotel, if you are familiar with them? Is there a major difference between these areas in terms of being close to shopping at the stores that we all like to go to on SF. Thanks for your thoughts.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sweisman
Looking for opinions...I have two reservations to choose between two hotels, priced similiarly. One is the POD at E. 51st Street between 2nd and 3rd ave. and the 2nd is the Algonquin at W. 44th near 5th ave in the Theater District (this one is the bigger discount as I got it at around half the going rate, bringing it down to the price of the Pod). Seeing as that this is an Anniversary trip for my wife and I and we want to stay in the nicest area we can afford, are there any pros or cons to these two areas. The Algonquin seems to be more centrally located and maybe better for walking around at night, but not being familiar with the area I'm not sure.

Where would you stay between these two choices of neighborhood and hotel, if you are familiar with them? Is there a major difference between these areas in terms of being close to shopping at the stores that we all like to go to on SF. Thanks for your thoughts.

Depends on what you want to do while you are in New York. The neighborhoods are quite different. POD will be in an area with lots of bars that young people go to - but not hip bars - just drinking establishments and pubs.

Algonquin is closer to 5th ave shopping (quite different than SoHo shopping). Other than that, neither is close to anything interesting. 44th and 5th is awfully close to Times Square...if you want to go that route. Both are quite "centrally" located so that won't be an issue. The hip stuff happens way downtown and the classy typical stuff is all over. If you love 5th ave shopping and Times Square, go for the Algonquin.

sweisman

Reaction score
I'm more of a "Men's Clothing" than a "Streetwear and Denim" shopper, so I imagine most of my time will be spent mid and uptown in that regard. Although I plan on going to the West Village to check out Leffot and do some shopping and eating as well. I know we will be going all over, seeing a show at night, just seeing the city etc. so I was really trying to get a feel for the differences in the neighborhoods the hotels are in. As well as the hotels if anyone knows of them. Thanks again.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stay at the Algonquin, it has such history and the location is conveinient to so much: Broadway shows, Madison Avenue men's stores, 5th Avenue, Rockefeller Center and the unheralded, but oh-so-worthy shops and dining at Grand Central. If you are braving the subway you will also find easy, fast service anywhere else in Manhattan.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
44 & 5th is a nice location when it comes to midtown. Close to Bryant Park and the library, close to 5th ave shopping, close to Times Square but not too close.

I'd clearly go with the Algonquin between these two choices

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the advantage of 51st btw 2nd and 3rd is that its a little quieter and a little easier to find restaurants that are not tourist traps.

The algonquin is a new york landmark, home of the algonquin round table and the oak room, close to the theater district, more subways and with just a little care, you can stay out of the tourist traps.

I really wouldn't think twice about it, stay at the algonquin.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
vinous is right that it's a much quiet area over there, but I agree with Greg. I've never been in the rooms at the Algonquin, but I'd definitely choose it, location-wise, over the POD.

highball

Reaction score
Algonquin, for sure. Never been but I've heard it's a nice place & used to live a few doors down from there. The area is insanity in terms of crowds, but you also benefit from a sense of place that you can't find anywhere but NY. The POD is also not accessible to as many transit lines.

Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
The algonquin is a new york landmark, home of the algonquin round table and the oak room, close to the theater district, more subways and with just a little care, you can stay out of the tourist traps.

Isn't the Oak Room currently moving into the Plaza? Was it previously at the Algonquin, or are we talking about different things?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at the Algonquin and several other hotels on the same block many times. It is a very good part of town being centrally located. Plan to do a lot of Mid-Town activities. If you want SoHo or upper East side, be prepared for a bit of a cab ride.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I can't imagine "grown ups" staying in The Pod.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably too late, but see if they'll cut you a deal with a show in their caberet room. The space there sometimes has some really, really good singers. Locals go to see the shows there.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One advantage of staying at the pod would be that you would be a block away from me. Thats a big plus in my book.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads