• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for LA Guy about denim colors

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Fok, I've read a few of your posts where you talk about how different jeans have certain "colors" in the indigo, such as red, some have more brown, green, etc. Would you mind elaborating on this a bit, and how you can see the different colors used? Because I seriously have no idea what the fok you're talking about.

laugh.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Fok lost his vision a few years ago in a motorcycle accident so the docs transplanted bionic eyes into his skull, first time this has ever been done. Since then he is able to see all colors of the spectrum in indigo now.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or it could be just the LSD.

Cue: Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense and Peppermits

modual

Reaction score
Can i use this thread to ask La Guy why he doesn't recommend sizing down on nudie jeans ?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, indigo dyes are not uniform. Mixing dyes to get just the desired shade is a pretty complicated process. The properties of the yarn and the tightness of the weave will further complicate how the denim absorbs and reflects light. And the weft color also subtly changes the complexion of the denim. So if you put raw denim from different companies side by side, you are going to see differences between them. Some differences are quite drastic.

For example, the LHT denim used by Studio D'Artisan has a fairly bright blue/black warp, and a grey weft. The weave is fairly loose, and the yarns are soft. The result is a greyish, soft, color. On the other side of the spectrum, the dye used in the denim used by SPURR is extremely dark, but also has a deep red tone to it, so that the jeans look just a little "off" when you try to wear them with cool colors like greys and hunter green. I've never worn them except with warm (red) browns. They don't work with cooler browns with a lot of green in them.

It's not really that surprising. The Pantone color book shows that there are vast differences between different types of blues. And the color of denim is even more complicated, because the light also plays with the texture of the fabric.

I have to laugh when I hear people say things like "I only need one pair of dark jeans." Sure, but then you are going to be either limited in your choice of tops and accessories, or look like a dork. My 5EPs are the closest I have to a "universal" jean, because the denim is extremely complicated, and there are lots of different levels of tone in the dye, but there are occasions even those do not work.

BTW, Jet, I'm sorry that you can only barely distinguish between primary colors That must be so sad
frown.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modual
Can i use this thread to ask La Guy why he doesn't recommend sizing down on nudie jeans ?

Because I don't like to see male cameltoe but would like to see the human race not die out. On the other hand, if you feel like it, don't be half-assed. Size down 3, and they will stretch out after 3-6 months of intense and constant pain. Once they stop hurting, wash and dry the jeans, wear until pain subsides (should be about 2 months this time) and repeat.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Well, indigo dyes are not uniform. Mixing dyes to get just the desired shade is a pretty complicated process. The properties of the yarn and the tightness of the weave will further complicate how the denim absorbs and reflects light. And the weft color also subtly changes the complexion of the denim. So if you put raw denim from different companies side by side, you are going to see differences between them. Some differences are quite drastic.

For example, the LHT denim used by Studio D'Artisan has a fairly bright blue/black warp, and a grey weft. The weave is fairly loose, and the yarns are soft. The result is a greyish, soft, color. On the other side of the spectrum, the dye used in the denim used by SPURR is extremely dark, but also has a deep red tone to it, so that the jeans look just a little "off" when you try to wear them with cool colors like greys and hunter green. I've never worn them except with warm (red) browns. They don't work with cooler browns with a lot of green in them.

It's not really that surprising. The Pantone color book shows that there are vast differences between different types of blues. And the color of denim is even more complicated, because the light also plays with the texture of the fabric.

I have to laugh when I hear people say things like "I only need one pair of dark jeans." Sure, but then you are going to be either limited in your choice of tops and accessories, or look like a dork. My 5EPs are the closest I have to a "universal" jean, because the denim is extremely complicated, and there are lots of different levels of tone in the dye, but there are occasions even those do not work.

BTW, Jet, I'm sorry that you can only barely distinguish between primary colors That must be so sad
frown.gif

Ay I wanna smoke some of that too pimpin.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Duh. Ignorance is bliss.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to illustrate these color differences with photos?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Sure, this is what fok is seeing

LESHENG2.JPG

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

frown.gif

I never really knew what you were talking about either, but now that I own a pair of 5EP in the Dark Worn, I definitely can see some shades of green in them. I guess I could almost see it in my Resins, but it's not as pronounced as the DW.

Ott

Reaction score
I can understand where you're coming from, but I guess I'm more of a denimhead than fashionista- I'd rather wear 1-2 pairs into the ground at a time than rotate 5 pairs to match the rest of my clothing perfectly.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ott
I can understand where you're coming from, but I guess I'm more of a denimhead than fashionista- I'd rather wear 1-2 pairs into the ground at a time than rotate 5 pairs to match the rest of my clothing perfectly.
Yeah, I'm the same way for the most part. I'll probably never worry about matching certain dark jeans to other items, but it is nice to have a little variety. I think 4-6 pair is a decent number to own, beater jeans excluded. I've chucked everything but one pair of garden variety 501's. Although I'm not afraid to wrench on the bike or do other things in my good stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads