• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

question for Kabbaz.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA Guy, if I may be so bold as to quote myself from Page 1 hereof:
Other than that, to call an untucked dress shirt "recent fashion" is to acknowledge heresy as acceptable pragmatic reality
As previously stated, many types of shirts are made to be worn untucked. Dress shirts with tails are not among them.
(Dan) I wouldn't call it a rule so much as a matter of fact. You should never tuck anything into a pair of jeans. You'll look like a fool. Dan
Bait.
smile.gif

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The truth of the matter is that unless you are both remarkably thin and good looking, tucking your shirt into your jeans makes you look remarkably stupid.
Perhaps, but not half as stupid as moronicisms such as this.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(JCusey) Perhaps, but not half as stupid as moronicisms such as this.
Though I agree, may I point out that:
a] This is not a question -and-
b] If it were, you are 15 minutes late (don't pull time zone sh*t on me) and your partner is notably absent.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't wear jeans, so this whole debate is academic to me; like debating ties with a software engineer.
wink.gif

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
b] If it were, you are 15 minutes late (don't pull time zone sh*t on me) and your partner is notably absent.
When I refer to a time, the presumption is that I refer to a time in my own timezone. If you didn't understand that, well, there's no reason to curse about it.
wink.gif
This is a question: In sewing a single-needle side seam, is one of the goals to make that seem as narrow as possible?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since I have a younger less affluent and more fashion conscious clientele then Mr. Kabbaz. Due mostly to our respective ages as opposed to price point.

I have made plenty of shirts to be worn out. I myself wear most of my summer casual shirts worn out. with a square bottom and side slits not a vent. IT is a boxy cut. Slightly tapered through the waist and hips. My usual dress shirt is about 31-32" these come in around 28-29"

When I make shirts to be worn out side of the pants as opposed to being tucked in with out a square bottom, then there is less curve at the tail and the hip measurement is reduced to prevent the shirt tail from flaring out.

Ippolito in the Dominican Republic or ramon Puig in Miami make the best guayaberas. I have made a few in my day, but they are very time consuming to make. Lots of details. there is a cuban woman,Luz Amparo who works with Manny Toyo in NJ that can make a decent guayaberra.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't wear jeans, so this whole debate is academic to me; like debating ties with a software engineer.
wink.gif
Computer engineers exist. Software developers exist. I don't believe that software engineers exist.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Computer engineers exist. Software developers exist. I don't believe that software engineers exist.
Nitpicker.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
(jcusey @ Mar. 13 2005,15:24) Computer engineers exist. Software developers exist. I don't believe that software engineers exist.
Nitpicker.
Precise language is important. And that particular construction is a pet peeve of mine.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Precise language is important. And that particular construction is a pet peeve of mine.
Yes. Otherwise people feel that their words get twisted, and this can be upsetting. I will endeavor to be more precise in the future.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a question: In sewing a single-needle side seam, is one of the goals to make that seem as narrow as possible?
Oh. Someone finally comes up with a difficult one. Congratulations and a gold star.
There are those shirtmakers who would argue in the affirmative on this one. However, I would disagree ... and probably win the debate because they are all dead. Nonetheless, there are two schools of thought, as follows:
I make my two-stitch single-needle seams (usually referred to as the "closing" seam for it is the one which closes the sides and sleeve from the tip of the tailvent to the cuff) 1/4" wide and flat. This seam, and the difficult finger "turning" required to accomplish it, can be done using the fingers, lays flatter, does not dig into one's 'love handles', and can be pressed (ironed) to remove puckering.
Others make their seams as your question reads, 'as narrow as possible'. The only way to accomplish this is with a special sewing machine foot called a "scroll" foot. Within this foot is a small scroll of metal (logic knows no bounds, eh?). The two pieces of fabric are fed through this foot and (sc)rolled into a tight little cylinder as they pass under the needle and get stitched. This has, for me, a multitude of downsides: Firstly, the foot is not accurate and the amount of material being scrolled can vary from 1/8" to as much as 1/2". Multiply this by the four pieces of fabric and variations in finished size of as much as 1.5" can transpire. Secondly, the smaller seam is not flat, it is a cylinder. This cylinder ... a rather solid one ... can pucker and be difficult, if not impossible, to press 'flat' - in other words, without puckers. Thirdly, because it is not flat, it tends to dig in to the side of the wearer under the trouser waistband (unless, of course, one is wearing jeans in which case one would look stupid to tuck it in).
Wear your gold star with pride, untuck your shirt, and marvel at how many words can be used to not answer a question.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Music, maestro: Why is everybody always pickin' on me? I never said shirts shouldn't be worn out. As a matter of fact, even an old fart like me makes shirts to be worn untucked. I merely said that shirts with dress shirt tails should not be worn out.
crazy.gif
Edit: Title: Shirtmaker, in throes of catalogue deadline, throws hissy-fit. To further clarify, if you are making the hem flat (bell, square, "W") as a casual shirt hem with the stitching at least 1/4" up from the bottom, fine. If the hem is being made with a scroll foot as is commonly used on a dress shirt, tuck it in.

andreyb

Reaction score
Here in Russia I read a course of lectures titled "Software Engineering". So, I believe that software engineering and software engineers are indeed exist... Â
wink.gif
Andrey

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads