• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for Home Theatre Experts

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Sony XBR 32" LCD tv, I've had about 6 months now. I have basic cable (nothing digital) hooked up by a really old co-axial cable.

Lately I've been noticing whenever I'm watching TV there are increasingly common sound blips. It's like the sound is distorted for a split second which is getting annoying. The video is just fine. These blips don't happen when I watch DVD's, or when I watch other TV's in the house. I'm starting to think my co-axial cable is too old and just messed up.

Would a new shielded co-axial cable help?

Septavius

Reaction score
How about hooking up another one of your other TVs to that co-axial cable and see if the same thing happens? If it does, then there's a strong case the cable needs replacing.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a new cable might help. Rather than call up the cable company and wait for them to replace it, order one from bluejeans cable company and they'll send it out to you with whatever length you specify (with the RF connectors attached, as well).

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/rf/index.htm

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
digital cable? sometimes the cable feed skips. it happens to me pretty often, especially on HD feeds.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I have a Sony XBR 32" LCD tv, I've had about 6 months now. I have basic cable (nothing digital) hooked up by a really old co-axial cable.

Lately I've been noticing whenever I'm watching TV there are increasingly common sound blips. It's like the sound is distorted for a split second which is getting annoying. The video is just fine. These blips don't happen when I watch DVD's, or when I watch other TV's in the house. I'm starting to think my co-axial cable is too old and just messed up.

Would a new shielded co-axial cable help?

Do you seriously have an LCD TV hooked up with a co-axial cable?

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most cable companies have been actively moving their customers off analog cable to digital cable for the past several years, so what you have is most likely basic digital cable. The brief sound interruptions you describe sound like digital artifacts/loss of sync so a new coaxial connecting your cable box to TV is unlikely to help since the signal is analog at that point. A different point is that no one should be using a coaxial cable to connect a cable box, satellite box or another signal source to their display because coaxial cable analog connection will significantly reduce your picture and sound quality. The preffered method to connect your cable box to your display is through HDMI connection. If the box does not have an HDMI output, then look for a DVI video connector and use an optical digital or two cable stereo connection for the audio signal. If above are not available, look for Component Video out (three round connectors: green, yellow, red). If that is not available look for S-Video out (single black round multi-prong connector). If none of the connectors above are present, your cable box is really old and you should look for a Composite video connector (single round yellow). Your LCD is likely to have several inputs I described above, so that should not be a problem. If you need to order a cable, I recommend www.monoprice.com, since they offer good quality and their prices are hard to beat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics