• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Question for chronograph owners

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, how often do you use the stopwatch function or the speed calculator?

I do quite like the look of a tasty Daytona or similar but just wondered if its all for show or if the complications ever actually get used on the real world.

Any racing drivers looking in need not reply!

nringo

Reaction score
I use mine to time the cooking of my steaks.

Jack2000

Reaction score
I have a breitling chronomat that I rarely use any of the functions on. Could easily be replaced with any watch with a second hand--or my cell phone for that matter.

.Kurtz.

Reaction score
As an engineer, I quite often use the stopwatch function. I can't say the same about the speed calculator, though.

Anyway, it's more about mechanical watch complications liking than practical usefulness itself (which would be a plus for a watch lover).

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jack2000
I have a breitling chronomat that I rarely use any of the functions on. Could easily be replaced with any watch with a second hand--or my cell phone for that matter.

Same here...Breitling Chronomat Chronograph 1881...mostly used as a piece of fine jewelry

boo

Reaction score
I like chronographs mainly because I think the subdials add to a watch aesthetically and I don't really care about the actual functionality.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I use it to take my pulse.

crummy77

Reaction score
I have wondered about that. Some people say it is not too "mature" to have chronograph. But I think it adds a certain amount of aesthetic look to it. I have a Seiko Chronograph watch and I hardly use the chrono function.

Swededude

Reaction score
When i wear a watch with Chrono, I use it all the time for cooking, timekeeping walks etc. However I do not miss it when I wear a watch that does not have the function. And I like it mainly because of the aestethics.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use mine for many tasks. I use it for cooking, timing things at work, and just sometimes just timing trips in the car.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.