• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Question for Canadians ordering from TM Lewin

inlandisland

Reaction score
Sorry to start a thread for this, I was just wondering if any Canadians who order from TM Lewin can tell me if they are ever charged any tax or duty upon delivery, or if the price in the cart online is all you pay? Much appreciated if you can tell me.

Edit to add: I am refering to ordering from the uk site, as it seems to be a better price.

Last edited:

Eight

Reaction score
About 30% extra for brokerage, taxes and duty

inlandisland

Reaction score
Thank for responding... So is the extra 30% charged upon delivery? I've never ordered from a .uk before.

Last edited:

rcoreytaylor

Reaction score
I've never ordered from TM Lewin, although it looks a lot like Charles Tyrwhitt and I have many experiences ordering from Tyrwhitt UK site. When considering the BPS to CAD exchange, shipping, taxes and duties I tend to budget on the item being twice the price as listed. So in other words, if I purchase an overcoat for $199 pounds I assume that it'll end up being somewhere around $400 CAD when it lands at my doorstep. Obviously this is not an exact calculation but it's usually pretty close either way and it allows me to assess if I really want to order the item in the first place.

Cheers!

PS - And yes, you'll be expected to pay Canada Post - assuming the parcel is shipped via Royal Mail in Britain - for taxes and duties at time of delivery.

Last edited:

rcoreytaylor

Reaction score
...oh, and by the way, returning items to the UK is prohibitively expense so it's best to really know what will fit you before you take the plunge and order (or order light the 1st time and then once you have a better idea of how a particular brand fits you can order as you need)

hobo style

Reaction score
I've recently taken delivery of two sub-£100 orders (from Kent Brushes and Albert Thurston) and I didn't get any surcharges from Canada Post. If shipping isn't too expensive you should consider breaking the orders up to avoid taxes and duty, since they seem to consistently get you for larger amounts. And never get anything shipped to you via UPS or FedEx from out-of-country.

mimile

Reaction score
I never paid any taxes on products shipped from Lewin. Candians should stop asking such questiosn on different forums because sooner or later the customs will know about it!

Eight

Reaction score
My order was close to 800$ if I recall, which may explain why it was flagged.

Suits were great, the shirts not so much.

rcoreytaylor

Reaction score

I never paid any taxes on products shipped from Lewin. Candians should stop asking such questiosn on different forums because sooner or later the customs will know about it!

...well, maybe only the style-conscious ones that is...

Femi

Reaction score
I was shocked when my order arrived Canada, and I was called to pay an amount of $250 as tax on the order. I refused to collect it. Gracefully it was returned and I got reimbursed.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.