• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for all College Students

Brian SD

Reaction score
My parents are hounding me on money right now. I think they have a messed up view of what finances are like for college students.

Please be honest, and this is only for CURRENT COLLEGE STUDENTS.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Self sufficient, which mostly involves starving, not having money for books, etc.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loans and job. I just checked my bank account and it seems I only have $50 in there. Awesome.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I don't get it then. What is rent like for you guys? Rent here is ~$700/month. My job is ~$10 / hr at 20 hrs / wk. At $400 wk minus taxes, there's no way I could possibly pay for rent, and then have books and stuff. If I can't pay for books, I have to use a credit card, which equals more payments per month, which I can't cover in the first place.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I graduated 6 months ago, so sue me...

Inheritance from my grandmother paid for my out-of-province tution and board. Working in the summer and investments paid for expenses during the school year. Worked in 2nd and 4th year during school year by choice to gain work experience. Parents paid for airfare. I graduated with zero debt and realize I am a very rare case. Most of my friends are unfortuantely leveraged to the hilt. However, most of them are really bad with credit.

A

Edit: Wow Brian, $700? Do you live alone? Even when I lived on rez it equaled out to $500/month. When I lived in downtown Toronto with two roommates it was about $550.

Brian SD

Reaction score
My mediocre apartment (2br) is $1345 / mo. That's about average for San Diego. I have a $30 / mo. parking charge as well.

I told my parents "I'm thinking of only taking 9 units this semester since I only need 3 to graduate." And they said "If you only take 9 units then we're going to make you go out and get another job." I'd almost rather get another job than take more marsupialed classes I don't need (upper end elective graphic design classes are for the most part, absolute jokes).

Then I got a lecture about how my life is financially easy, yet every day I wake up and go to bed worrying about paying my bills and being able to buy a campus permit and books, and ****.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Self-sufficent, with a little incentive from the parents. I really hate the idea of loans and being in debt.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I don't get it then. What is rent like for you guys? Rent here is ~$700/month. My job is ~$10 / hr at 20 hrs / wk. At $400 wk minus taxes, there's no way I could possibly pay for rent, and then have books and stuff. If I can't pay for books, I have to use a credit card, which equals more payments per month, which I can't cover in the first place.
I don't pay rent because I'm living at home. There is just no ******* way you can go to school and work to cover rent at the same time. Either you get loans and aid or you get money from your parents or you live at home.
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Then I got a lecture about how my life is financially easy, yet every day I wake up and go to bed worrying about paying my bills and being able to buy a campus permit and books, and ****.
While you definitely have it easier than many (myself included), your parents are just wrong.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, my parents pay for almost everything. Then again, I receive a significant amount of scholarship/ financial aid from my rich-ass private LAC.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
If it makes you feel any better, my parents pay for almost everything. Then again, I receive a significant amount of scholarship/ financial aid from my rich-ass private LAC.

is that really supposed to make him feel better? haha..

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Selling smack, pilliaging, and extortion didn't make the list eh?

No wonder people think Americans are weak, nobody knows how to hustle anymore.
Biggie Smalls is ashamed of you all.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
is that really supposed to make him feel better? haha..
blush.gif
My bad, that wouldn't make him feel better per se, yet might be useful in changing his parents' view toward finances for college students.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Biggie Smalls is ashamed of you all.
And every Halloween, he gets summoned to some motherfuckin' cracker's bathroom.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
blush.gif
My bad, that wouldn't make him feel better per se, yet might be useful in changing his parents' view toward finances for college students.

haha yea, my parents support me 100 percent too...i guess im a lucky?..idk..i grew with people who all went to college with parents support and i went to prep school where obviously poeple are funded byt heir parents..
it kinda sucks if your not..i havnt really had to face it all my life..but i have a bunch of friends in college..and some of their parents dont even help them out when they could help out more..they think there kids are having it easy like brian said and thats pretty fucked up
but yea were really lucky i guess itd suck to have to support yourself and have to pay rent and ****..

Jsoftz

Reaction score
I work 25-40 hours a week at a local CompUter store (that's a hint right there), and I pay for 100% of my tuition and expenses out of pocket. However, I do still live with the folks. So I avoid the largest expense, that being rent. Financially it is still a little difficult to make ends meet some months. January is historically the worst for me, having to pay bills from Christmas as well as the giant first tuition payment, which is 50% of your total here at University of Houston.

...However, there is always that godsend of financial student benefits, and that is the huge tax return. Yay!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads