• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for Alden fans

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I'd like to thank the fellow members of the Styleforum for getting me interested in shoes. The shoe Appreciation threads on this site are great and addictive. I find the commentary on the Styleforum to be interesting, useful and at times funny.

I'm interested in purchasing either the Alden George boots or the chukkas in shell cordovan. They are both gorgeous boots and I would love to own a pair. I don't know what size I am in Aldens, but in AE's I'm a 9.5E. Any recommendations on what size I should go with? I'm looking at either going with color #8, cigar or ravello. They all seem like great colors and it's hard to choose just one.

Has anyone had experience with theshoemart.com? This I where I'm looking to purchase them from and was looking for any feedback on them. How is their retun policy in case the size is incorrect? This will be my first purchase of Aldens, and shell cordovan for that matter I'm excited andook forward to feedback or suggestions.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question about Alden vs AE sizing, it depends on the last...for both makers. As far as ShoeMart goes, they're highly reputable and have a decent return policy.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on what last. Most cigar & ravello shell cordovan are built on the barrie last, which means you probably wear a 9E (1/2 size down on the barrie). If the shoes you are looking at are not the barrie, then it is more of a trial and error. Mostly, the Barrie and Trubalance are 1/2 size down, and the others are true to size. Shoemart is great. Their return policy is good; however, shell cordovan shoes crease with one wear. Most places won't take the shoes back with any creasing. They definitely won't take them back if you scuff the soles. You should read through this thread for helpful sizing info: Link

emptym

Reaction score
^+1

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The George boot is on the Aberdeen last which is more or less true to size.
I've only ever seen it in #8 or black shell. Your chances of getting it in cigar or ravello are very low.

There's a Crockett & Jones for Polo version of the George boot out there which I've seen in black calf or brown shell. The C&J brown is similar to cigar.

The Alden cordovan chukkas are typically on the Barrie last. Size down 1/2 but I don't know how the E would fit into the equation.

Shoemart is a good place to buy from. Their stated return policy is pretty good but I've not had to use it.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and the link. The George boot looks like the winner in shell #8. : )

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads