• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Whey Isolate and absorption? carbs necessary?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the 100% whey Isolate protiens (which I beleive is the fastest absorbing as far as time and also the best for pwo) contain 0-3 carbs... I think if I can remeber correctly, you need carbs with the protien in order for it to be utilized, basically I was wondering if it is a good idea to add carbs to isolate? why it is all sold with barely any carbs if any? and is it truely the best option for post wo? what about pre wo?

If you look at allthewhey for instance, they have their Isolate, Blend (which has whey protien isolate and concentrate), Concentrate, and then the Opti-Blend (Glucose, Isolate, Concentrate)...all are 0-3 carb, so maybe I am wrong about carbs being important

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're wrong. They're not necessary but they can help. Most people worry too much about dumb stuff like this though.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
You're wrong. They're not necessary but they can help. Most people worry too much about dumb stuff like this though.

So if they can help should they be added via a scoop of PB or something? does it really matter? I mean if they help as you said above then why not add them. Thanks for the info btw because I was also adding stuff to my shakes to put some carbs in them. I always hear your suppose to have some complex carbs 30 mins after workout for bloodsugar reasons or somethin along those lines... maybe just have a regular 0 carb shake and a PB sandwhich with it?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
So if they can help should they be added via a scoop of PB or something? does it really matter? I mean if they help as you said above then why not add them. Thanks for the info btw because I was also adding stuff to my shakes to put some carbs in them. I always hear your suppose to have some complex carbs 30 mins after workout for bloodsugar reasons or somethin along those lines... maybe just have a regular 0 carb shake and a PB sandwhich with it?

Peanut butter has very few carbs.

Why not add them? It depends on goals. A lot of times it's not necessary. I'm assuming you're trying to build muscle in which case the best thing to do is get a better training program and eat a lot of food. If you're seeing gains keep doing what you're doing, if you're not seeing gains look at your training program before your diet, and if you have no idea if you're seeing gains it'd probably be best to actually find a way to measure them before worrying about whether or not 200 calories worth of oatmeal will make your biceps swell or not.

turbozed

Reaction score
You want about a 2:1 ratio of simple carbs to protein post-workout since your muscle glycogen stores have been depleted. If you're mixing your WPI into milk, there's about 11g of carbs right there already. To get more carbs to reach a good ratio, you can just buy bulk dextrose or maltodextrin (it's seriously some ridiculously cheap stuff, check bulknutrition.com). Or you can just add a banana and some berries to your shake.

Just make sure you get some carbs in your system so your muscles don't go catabolic (unless you're actually *trying* to decrease muscle mass). I would worry less about precision as long as the all of the macronutrients are there.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
You want about a 2:1 ratio of simple carbs to protein post-workout since your muscle glycogen stores have been depleted. If you're mixing your WPI into milk, there's about 11g of carbs right there already. To get more carbs to reach a good ratio, you can just buy bulk dextrose or maltodextrin (it's seriously some ridiculously cheap stuff, check bulknutrition.com). Or you can just add a banana and some berries to your shake.

Just make sure you get some carbs in your system so your muscles don't go catabolic (unless you're actually *trying* to decrease muscle mass). I would worry less about precision as long as the all of the macronutrients are there.

Really, how many times do we have to hear this?
frown.gif

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Really, how many times do we have to hear this?
frown.gif

As long as human metabolism doesn't all of a sudden change and as long as people keep asking about it?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as human metabolism doesn't all of a sudden change and as long as people keep asking about it?

The entirety of what you said was wrong and flies in the face of anyone who's done a ketogenic diet before.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
Concentrate, and then the Opti-Blend (Glucose, Isolate, Concentrate)...all are 0-3 carb, so maybe I am wrong about carbs being important

I'm too lazy to explain the whole in detail process but basically it goes like this:

If you're lifting heavy weights (if you're not you should be) then you're depleting the carbs in your body (either stored as glycogen or floating around as glucose). Once you've reached a certain point where you've exhausted these stores, your body releases cortisol and your body starts converting other macronutrients (such as muscle protein) into glucose. I'm assuming that this is not what you want happening if you're like the many of us that lift to increase lean muscle mass. Thus, post workout (and perhaps after waking up) is one of the few times you should be consuming high GI foods.

'why' is correct when saying that the carbs aren't *necessary.* Your body is perfectly okay with converting your fat and muscle protein into glucose. However, *you* might be interested in maintaining and gaining lean muscle mass. If you are, add some simple carbs to your shake.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
The entirety of what you said was wrong and flies in the face of anyone who's done a ketogenic diet before.
I was on a ketogenic diet recently. And I've read the book 'the ketogenic diet.' Nowhere in that book does MacDonald refute the process of gluconeogenesis. In fact, I think he has a section on it. I'm pretty sure he recommended upping fat intake in accordance with lowering carb intake to maintain energy levels and counteract lean muscle mass loss. If I'm wrong about this, please reference the appropriate section and I'll read it again.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'why' is correct when saying that the carbs aren't *necessary.* Your body is perfectly okay with converting your fat and muscle protein into glucose. However, *you* might be interested in maintaining and gaining lean muscle mass. If you are, add some simple carbs to your shake.

The only thing in fats that can be converted to glucose is glycerol and it's such a small amount it's completely insignificant.

I was on a ketogenic diet recently. And I've read the book 'the ketogenic diet.' Nowhere in that book does MacDonald refute the process of gluconeogenesis. In fact, I think he has a section on it. I'm pretty sure he recommended upping fat intake in accordance with lowering carb intake to maintain energy levels and counteract lean muscle mass loss. If I'm wrong about this, please reference the appropriate section and I'll read it again.

So what does that have to do with carbs and catabolism? And your explanation for how cortisol works is something out of a fairy tale...

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

So what does that have to do with carbs and catabolism? And your explanation for how cortisol works is something out of a fairy tale...

Now you're just confusing me. I didn't even try to explain how cortisol works in that post. All I said was that heavy exercise increases the level of cortisol (is that deniable?) and that a higher level of it promotes the breakdown of proteins (does it not?). The post wasn't intended to 'explain' every detail about anything, as the very first line of it suggests.

Maybe you can give the both the threadstarter and me some detail in what the hell you're talking about instead of just a vague and useless responses. Unfortunately, all of your posts in this thread have been both.

beasty

Reaction score
instead of just a vague and useless responses. Unfortunately, all of your posts in this thread have been both.

Clap! Clap! Well said.
Another convert on the crap that is why.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I said was that heavy exercise increases the level of cortisol (is that deniable?) and that a higher level of it promotes the breakdown of proteins (does it not?).
You're confusing the issue into cortisol = bad when it's a lot more complex than that. And carbs don't lower cortisol levels -- insulin and cortisol aren't really opposing hormones. Carbs may assist in protein uptake (this is often overstated), but that's a product of insulin and overall energy balance and has little to do with cortisol levels. This is another causation issue that's so often confused by people.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm agreeing with why, but yeah, this is some stupid **** to worry about.

You don't digest and **** out what you just ate after 5 minutes, digestion is a slow, continuous process.

Yeah, you need carbs, you need protein, but I can't believe the timing is as important as people say. Unless you're starving yourself, I bet you have plenty of carbs and protein in your tract from previous meals to fuel your workouts.

I'm making the best gains I've ever had now, NOT trying to rigidly time myself, but eating whenever I please. If I don't feel like taking a shake after I workout within 20 minutes, then I don't. My muscles are still getting bigger, go figure.

The only timing I'm still naziesque about is making sure I take my nightly magnesium and b6 on an empty stomach to enhance absorption.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics