• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Western Shirts...

JacksonQ

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Jackson. I'm a first time poster here, so feel free to let me know if I'm doing anything incorrectly or posting in the wrong place.

I just bought a few western-style shirts (snap buttons, pointed front and back yoke, double front-pockets), but I got them in a solid white. They fit me pretty slim, which I like, generally. My question is, for a casual kind of look, could I wear a linen or cotton sport coat over them? I'm tempted to wear them with a lighter-fabric jacket and some chino-type pants... the western shirts are tricky with this stuff, I know, and they certainly wouldn't look good with a tie (I'm not a fan of any two-pocket shirt with a tie, could be just me) but I'd like to have a sharper look for work. I'm a young guy, and I work in a mental health/group home environment. There's no clear dress code (seriously; all over the place) so anything too dressy would make me look like a pretentious tool. But because of my youth, the clients and their families often mistake me for a resident when they first meet me. This doesn't offend me, necessarily, but I'd like to put across a more professional image.

Since I'm not adhering to any specific dress code (e.g., "business casual") I feel like the solid white western shirts with a sport coat and some chinos would look well-put-together but not over-the-top. It's also really important that my clients don't feel like there's too much of a barrier between staff and themselves. But I'm curious to hear some opinions on the subject, as I don't see too many examples of what I'm picturing online, which is often a bad sign.

I appreciate your expertise in advance,
-JMQ

eluther

Reaction score
Well-founded fear. If you can't find any images of something, it's either "next level" or a bad idea. In the situation you're in, it sounds like you want to avoid both.

If you're really looking into the minutiae of social propriety, I suggest posting this on the other side of the forum (http://www.styleforum.net/f/5/classic-menswear).

That being said, my advice is that it's strange. I wouldn't bother with it. Buy some blue button down collar shirts for work and call it a day.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads