• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about tailoring jeans (noob)... please help!

Brad2119

Reaction score
Okay so I own a pair of jeans which don't fit me that well. The waist is a 32 while I'm a 30 size waist. When I wear it with a belt, it's a bit less loose, but still not good enough. I'm thinking about taking a couple of inches off the waist to make it a perfect fit, how much does that usually cost and is it possible?

Also, the jeans stack a bit at the bottom, not terribly, but I want to make them a tiny bit shorter in length and hem them...

How much would all of that cost if you had to guess? and it it all possible to make it look natural?

I'm a noob and I have never gotten anything tailored before, so please excuse me if it's a dumb question, thanks.

Brad2119

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
And this is why I take longs vacations from this forum.

Please take another vacation... people like you are unhelpful and only care about themselves.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
This dumbass noob has started about 10 of these threads in the past 28 hrs.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
brad,

several years ago i had a pair of earnest sewn that i had the waist taken in at a local tailor. so yes, it can be done, and i seem to remember it costing about $40 or so.

BUT, what this particular tailor did was fold the waistband in the back of the jean. it did look natural but when you felt the back of the jean you could feel that extra material. it wasent uncomfortable or anything, and nobody could tell because it was only like .75."

the question you might want to ask yourself is how much you need taken in...2" may be a stretch in the sense that it may make the top-block look strange. but that is something you may want to talk to the tailor about.

if you send to htc (hollywood trading co) they might have someone there that can undo the waist band, and cut it and then sew it back on. if so, i bet it will cost at least $75 and then you have the question of whether or not it will make the top-block look weird.

in the end i didnt keep the jeans cause it bothered me, but im weird...

if the jeans are valuable to u for some reason and you need to take a couple inches off the waist, i would recommend writing down the measurements of the same pair of jeans but just a smaller size, then have your tailor alter the whole jean to those measurements to keep the cut looking like it should.

its one of those things that may not be worth it in the end unless these jeans have some special value to you.

Brad2119

Reaction score
You people are honestly so nasty... it's unbelievable.

Brad2119

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
brad,

several years ago i had a pair of earnest sewn that i had the waist taken in at a local tailor. so yes, it can be done, and i seem to remember it costing about $40 or so.

BUT, what this particular tailor did was fold the waistband in the back of the jean. it did look natural but when you felt the back of the jean you could feel that extra material. it wasent uncomfortable or anything, and nobody could tell because it was only like .75."

the question you might want to ask yourself is how much you need taken in...2" may be a stretch in the sense that it may make the top-block look strange. but that is something you may want to talk to the tailor about.

if you send to htc (hollywood trading co) they might have someone there that can undo the waist band, and cut it and then sew it back on. if so, i bet it will cost at least $75 and then you have the question of whether or not it will make the top-block look weird.

in the end i didnt keep the jeans cause it bothered me, but im weird...

if the jeans are valuable to u for some reason and you need to take a couple inches off the waist, i would recommend writing down the measurements of the same pair of jeans but just a smaller size, then have your tailor alter the whole jean to those measurements to keep the cut looking like it should.

its one of those things that may not be worth it in the end unless these jeans have some special value to you.

They don't, but it never hurts to have another pair of jeans. I think I'll try it and see how it goes, thanks a lot.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad2119
They don't, but it never hurts to have another pair of jeans. I think I'll try it and see how it goes, thanks a lot.
just sell then. why spend money on a pair of jeans that you wont keep if it doesnt turn out. save money and buy a pair of jeans that fit.

Brad2119

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
just sell then. why spend money on a pair of jeans that you wont keep if it doesnt turn out. save money and buy a pair of jeans that fit.

I don't know how much I can sell them before, I doubt more than $20 or so. They're not designer jeans, I bought them like 5 months ago way before I was into designer brands, and only wore them around 10 times before getting fed up with a non-proper fit.

They're nice jeans, but the fit isn't perfect, and I like perfect fits.

I have money to buy more jeans, but they're not first on my priority list right now, I need to buy some fall stuff first, so I thought this would be a good way to get another pair of jeans.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't know how much I can sell them before, I doubt more than $20 or so. They're not designer jeans, I bought them like 5 months ago way before I was into designer brands, and only wore them around 10 times before getting fed up with a non-proper fit.

They're nice jeans, but the fit isn't perfect, and I like perfect fits.

I have money to buy more jeans, but they're not first on my priority list right now, I need to buy some fall stuff first, so I thought this would be a good way to get another pair of jeans.

**** dude, $20. yeah, think about that for a second brad. my bad and my ******* waste of time. shame on ME!
ffffuuuu.gif

jay3429

Reaction score
You people are honestly so nasty... it's unbelievable.
You're so ******* stupid its unbelievable.
laugh.gif
Seriously though, if you don't like it leave. No one is forcing you to stay dumbass. In fact, you've already overstayed your welcome, leave.

Brad2119

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jay3429
You're so ******* stupid its unbelievable.
laugh.gif

Seriously though, if you don't like it leave. No one is forcing you to stay dumbass. In fact, you've already overstayed your welcome, leave.

Please do what your avatar displays, kthx.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads