• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Sports Coat Color

Jschm22

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New to the forum here and also the business world... I'm a senior in college. Anyway, I'm attending a business ettiquette dinner on wednesday that requires to atleast have a sports coat with the outfit and no jeans.

The outfit I was planning on wearing is Khaki dress pants with an off-white (almost yellow) dress shirt and a Black tie, shoes, and belt.

I need to go out and buy a sports coat so I was wondering if I could get some advice as to what color would go best with this outfit please....would black work ok?

thanks

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Most folks on here are going to steer you away from a black sportcoat, including me. They'd probably also steer you away from the black tie. Maybe even the black shoes and belt.

You've gotta work with what you've got, however. The simplest answer is going to be to ditch the black tie for something a little less severe and more businesslike - a simple rep stripe, for example, in just about any conservative color, depending on what you have, what you like, and what works with your complexion. And then go get a nice, versatile navy blue blazer.

If you have brown dress shoes and brown dress belt, I'd switch to those too.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jschm22
Hey everyone,

New to the forum here and also the business world... I'm a senior in college. Anyway, I'm attending a business ettiquette dinner on wednesday that requires to atleast have a sports coat with the outfit and no jeans.

The outfit I was planning on wearing is Khaki dress pants with an off-white (almost yellow) dress shirt and a Black tie, shoes, and belt.

I need to go out and buy a sports coat so I was wondering if I could get some advice as to what color would go best with this outfit please....would black work ok?

thanks

I not a big fan of black tie and black sportscoat. I am a bit more traditional and would go with a red tie, blue sportscoat and a shirt closer to white than yellow. (without getting into all the subtleties of colors that would complement your complexion, hair color, build, etc.)

Then again - I am probably 17 years older than you so YMMV.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get your first sportcoats in navy and dark brown. for navy, does not have to be a blazer, there are blazer alternatives like navy tweeds. or get a blazer. others like dark brown. that is also good. for tie, get a solid navy tie or a navy tie with a white stripe. if you don't like navy or white, fine, but go for a solid tie that is high quality or a tie with only two colors in it. most ties, esp. on the discount rack, are way too loud -- too many colors, too complicated in pattern -- for a first or second tie.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
A blue blazer is a wardrobe foundation. It is very versatile - less dressy than a suit and a tad more dressy that a sport coat. It can be dressed up or down. Many different types of trousers go with it. I suggest you ditch the black tie and get one with stripes or a small pattern.

Cheers, Jim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads