• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about slip on shoes

Boca Senior

Reaction score
Is it kosher to wear laceless slip on shoes with business suits and/or dressy fabrics?

A guy at work tells me it's not on, and that I should have laces only. Says that slip ons are only for more casual fabrics.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Boca Senior
Is it kosher to wear laceless slip on shoes with business suits and/or dressy fabrics?

A guy at work tells me it's not on, and that I should have laces only. Says that slip ons are only for more casual fabrics.

They are called loafers!

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll wear suede loafers with a linen suit in the summer but IMO they're generally too casuall for suits.

Icehawk

Reaction score
IMO, it's more about the overall style of the shoe rather than does it have laces. A moccassin like in my avatar isn't a good choice for a suit but that does not preclude all slipons from being suit appropriate.

Roger Everett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
They are called loafers!

Oh contrar -- Slip-ons can be of a dressy design, and every company makes them --- not to be confused with loafers ( ie: the penny loafer--best to go with jeans, kaki's, etc ).
Myself, I wear dress slip-ons, quite offten, with suits, SC and trousers, when the pants are FF and no cuffs. However with pleated pants, which I always have cuffed, I always wear lace-ups, as I feel the lace-ups have a heftier appearence and are called for to ground the heft of the cuff.
Roger

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
Boca, my thoughts here with visuals -

http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/dres...in-60-seconds/

In the end it depends - some slip-ons look amazing and are dressy enough to be worn with formal clothing....just look at opera pumps
smile.gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
They are called loafers!
Not all slip-ons are loafers, but a lot of slip-ons which aren't loafers (or boat/driving shoes) are also ugly.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger Everett
Oh contrar -- Slip-ons can be of a dressy design, and every company makes them --- not to be confused with loafers ( ie: the penny loafer--best to go with jeans, kaki's, etc ).
Myself, I wear dress slip-ons, quite offten, with suits, SC and trousers, when the pants are FF and no cuffs. However with pleated pants, which I always have cuffed, I always wear lace-ups, as I feel the lace-ups have a heftier appearence and are called for to ground the heft of the cuff.
Roger

Agree. Ferragamo makes some dress loafers(is what I call them) that I see worn with suits and could def work. To me, slip ons are slippers...

emptym

Reaction score
I think these slip ons from Alfred Sargent go well w/ suits (much more here):
imgp3690.jpg
Some side-gusseted models would work too, but I'm not a big fan of them. An Alden tassled loafer is another classic that I don't love myself, but think can look very good on others. Edit, I also think various loafers (which I distinguish from the more general term "slip-on"by their being low-vamp and usually with a stitched apron, but that may just be me) could do well in particular contexts, such as a venetian loafer w/ a slim cotton suit worn by an Italian, or a penny loafer with a seersucker suit worn by someone in/from New England or the South.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it's a sartorial sin, but I'm on the road a lot so I do it any way. So far, nobody has complained.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads