• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about silk knots and matching shirts

gmail

Reaction score
I'm aware that for a casual office setting, it would be more appropriate to have your silk knots match your shirt. However, which colors should I purchase if I have white and light blue French cuff shirts.

If it makes any difference, my ties come in a range of colors.
tongue.gif

Here's someone from eBay who has a lot of combination of colors: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320003317868

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just choose a color that complements the shirt or tie. In the case of a white and blue shirt, a darker shade of blue for the knot is a pretty safe choice.

As for that ebay seller, see the following thread for some comments on the quality of his products:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=12394

gmail

Reaction score
Any great suggestions as to where I should pick up silk knots instead of eBay?

smile.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting about the China seller of knots. I've been using his (six pair) for over a year and I have had no problem. I keep them side by side with ones from Brooks, Charvet and some others. I do find them indistinguishable from the others except Charvet, which uses noticably bigger knots and much wider spacing (they also cost $25-30!!). I put them on the shirt before I wear it, so they get a good stretch and I have no issues. If anything, I like the small space that they have between knots as it creates the type of cuff that I like. Maybe the quaity has changed since then. It's impossible to beat at $3.33/pair. At that price, you should just consider them disposable, sort of like a Gillette razor. After a few uses if they do get ruined, toss them and grab a new pair, just like a razor. Short of using the same pair every single day, I would believe that even at the worse quality possible you should be able to get 5-10 uses out of them.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
gmail: Banana Republic sells silk knots in lots of four (three maybe?) pair for a little more than $20. I'll probably get a box myself. I doubt there's that much to go wrong with silk knots, though I'm sure the cufflink connoisseurs here may say different.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Charvet, which uses noticably bigger knots and much wider spacing (they also cost $25-30!!).
Not to nitpick but Charvet charges $20. NM offers a good quality silk knot (14 for $65 with a case) but there's no choice of colors. The Chinese knots are markedly inferior but then you get what you pay for.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should get your cuffs to go with your ties or squares, especially as your shirt colors are very neutral.

gmail

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Not to nitpick but Charvet charges $20. NM offers a good quality silk knot (14 for $65 with a case) but there's no choice of colors. The Chinese knots are markedly inferior but then you get what you pay for.
You mention that the Chinese knots are markedly inferior. Can you elborate a little bit more on this? I'm pretty curious about the differences you've noticed. Thanks.
smile.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers has a large "candy jar" full of silk knots on the counter near the register. 3 pairs for $20, IIRC. If you're ordering from Charles Tyrwhitt, add some silk knots (shipping will probably be outrageous for only silk knots).

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gmail
You mention that the Chinese knots are markedly inferior. Can you elborate a little bit more on this? I'm pretty curious about the differences you've noticed. Thanks.

smile.gif

The knots that I received from the Chinese vendor lacked the luster of my other knots, the silk had somewhat of a matte finish. I also found that the tighter linkage between the knots makes them more difficult to put on the shirt.

JR_Rider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
The knots that I received from the Chinese vendor lacked the luster of my other knots, the silk had somewhat of a matte finish. I also found that the tighter linkage between the knots makes them more difficult to put on the shirt.
I actually like the tighter linkage. I prefer my cuffs to be pinched together.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR_Rider
I actually like the tighter linkage. I prefer my cuffs to be pinched together.
Are you familiar with the silk knots that we're discussing?

JR_Rider

Reaction score
Yes. They silk knots sold by various vendors for a wide range of prices. I purchased mine from ebay because the seller had more colors available than any where else. Some shirts of my shirts actually came with free pairs.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought about 20 of these from this ebay seller. Quality matches silk knots I bought in Paris a few years ago. only problem with this seller is he sent the wrong color for one pair. oh well. can not beat price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads