1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Question about silk knots and matching shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gmail, Jul 29, 2006.

1. gmail

gmail Active Member

I'm aware that for a casual office setting, it would be more appropriate to have your silk knots match your shirt. However, which colors should I purchase if I have white and light blue French cuff shirts.

If it makes any difference, my ties come in a range of colors. [​IMG]

Here's someone from eBay who has a lot of combination of colors: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320003317868

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Just choose a color that complements the shirt or tie. In the case of a white and blue shirt, a darker shade of blue for the knot is a pretty safe choice.

As for that ebay seller, see the following thread for some comments on the quality of his products:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=12394

3. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

No matching, try a contrasting color silk knots.

4. gmail

gmail Active Member

Any great suggestions as to where I should pick up silk knots instead of eBay?

[​IMG]

5. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Interesting about the China seller of knots. I've been using his (six pair) for over a year and I have had no problem. I keep them side by side with ones from Brooks, Charvet and some others. I do find them indistinguishable from the others except Charvet, which uses noticably bigger knots and much wider spacing (they also cost $25-30!!). I put them on the shirt before I wear it, so they get a good stretch and I have no issues. If anything, I like the small space that they have between knots as it creates the type of cuff that I like. Maybe the quaity has changed since then. It's impossible to beat at $3.33/pair. At that price, you should just consider them disposable, sort of like a Gillette razor. After a few uses if they do get ruined, toss them and grab a new pair, just like a razor. Short of using the same pair every single day, I would believe that even at the worse quality possible you should be able to get 5-10 uses out of them.

6. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

gmail: Banana Republic sells silk knots in lots of four (three maybe?) pair for a little more than $20. I'll probably get a box myself. I doubt there's that much to go wrong with silk knots, though I'm sure the cufflink connoisseurs here may say different.

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Charvet, which uses noticably bigger knots and much wider spacing (they also cost $25-30!!).
    Not to nitpick but Charvet charges $20. NM offers a good quality silk knot (14 for $65 with a case) but there's no choice of colors. The Chinese knots are markedly inferior but then you get what you pay for.

8. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

You should get your cuffs to go with your ties or squares, especially as your shirt colors are very neutral.

9. gmail

gmail Active Member

Not to nitpick but Charvet charges $20. NM offers a good quality silk knot (14 for $65 with a case) but there's no choice of colors. The Chinese knots are markedly inferior but then you get what you pay for.
    You mention that the Chinese knots are markedly inferior. Can you elborate a little bit more on this? I'm pretty curious about the differences you've noticed. Thanks. [​IMG]

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

Brooks Brothers has a large "candy jar" full of silk knots on the counter near the register. 3 pairs for $20, IIRC. If you're ordering from Charles Tyrwhitt, add some silk knots (shipping will probably be outrageous for only silk knots).

11. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

You mention that the Chinese knots are markedly inferior. Can you elborate a little bit more on this? I'm pretty curious about the differences you've noticed. Thanks.

[​IMG]

The knots that I received from the Chinese vendor lacked the luster of my other knots, the silk had somewhat of a matte finish. I also found that the tighter linkage between the knots makes them more difficult to put on the shirt.

12. JR_Rider

JR_Rider Senior member

The knots that I received from the Chinese vendor lacked the luster of my other knots, the silk had somewhat of a matte finish. I also found that the tighter linkage between the knots makes them more difficult to put on the shirt.
    I actually like the tighter linkage. I prefer my cuffs to be pinched together.

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I actually like the tighter linkage. I prefer my cuffs to be pinched together.
    Are you familiar with the silk knots that we're discussing?

14. JR_Rider

JR_Rider Senior member

Yes. They silk knots sold by various vendors for a wide range of prices. I purchased mine from ebay because the seller had more colors available than any where else. Some shirts of my shirts actually came with free pairs.

15. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

I bought about 20 of these from this ebay seller. Quality matches silk knots I bought in Paris a few years ago. only problem with this seller is he sent the wrong color for one pair. oh well. can not beat price.

16. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Bah, at those prices, I appreciate how J.Crew packed FC shirts with pretty nice knot links. I have purple, blue, and shades of green, which works for half my ties.

17. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Bah, at those prices, I appreciate how J.Crew packed FC shirts with pretty nice knot links. I have purple, blue, and shades of green, which works for half my ties.

Jose, there will be a difference in the quality of silk knots, just as there is a difference in the make of any particular goods. I think that you've been around long enough to understand this theory.

18. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Being from a garment exporting country makes you extremely cynical about markups and retail prices.