• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about shoes...

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions about shoes.

I am thinking about purchasing a pair of shoes on line (from pediwear.co.uk - which I came across on this site), so what I have done is gone out and tried a pair in store at David Jones.

I am looking at purchasing Loake, and a size 8 fits well. My question is does this mean that all Loake shoes in a size 8 and with the same fitting will be the same, and what do the references to last mean e.g Last: Toya? These seem to vary by manufacturer, is this correct?

Hope I make sense, if not let me know and I will do my best to clarify. Thanks for your help,

G

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Each manufacturer uses their own lasts, and in reality, uses their own sizing system. In theory if you stick with the same last and same manufacturer, the same size should fit the same. But I have seen variance in this situation as well, for example a shoe made out of suede was slightly looser than one made out of leather.

That said, yeah, you can reasonably expect it will fit the same.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Tarmac!

Does that last then make much of a difference? For instance what would the differences be if I purchased a size 8 F with a 26 or 28 last?

kenneth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions about shoes.

I am thinking about purchasing a pair of shoes on line (from pediwear.co.uk - which I came across on this site), so what I have done is gone out and tried a pair in store at David Jones.

I am looking at purchasing Loake, and a size 8 fits well. My question is does this mean that all Loake shoes in a size 8 and with the same fitting will be the same, and what do the references to last mean e.g Last: Toya? These seem to vary by manufacturer, is this correct?

Hope I make sense, if not let me know and I will do my best to clarify. Thanks for your help,

G

Funny you should ask this I have just this week posed this self same question to the factory manager at Trickers in Northampton. He informed me that most Northampton last sizes are virtually identical. I have just received, from Trickers a pair of 8.5 5 Ilkley and the fit is just the same as my Crockett & Jones 8.5 E Grassmere. Interestinly I paid less for my shoes direct from Trickers than Pediwear were quoting

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys ... I have just placed an order for shoes made on a different last to the ones I tried instore ... will let you know how they pan out.

G

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't forget that Loake is slipping in a few corrected leather jobs for the same price as the calf ones at DJs Be careful...I saw them the other day as a matter of fact
uhoh.gif

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have just received the pair of shoes in question ... and they fit great!

A problem though. There are several little scuffs and marks on the shoe that I have tried to capture in the following photos. My question now is, what would you do? send them back? or is it ok to have a couple of minor marks?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
and a couple more pics ...so what does everyone think? Is it too much for a shoe to not have a single marking on it?

Clark

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't return them as they will get scuff marks as that after a couple of uses anyway. And after a polish it won't be visible anyway and will only add to the patina of the shoes.

/C

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
does anybody else want to venture an opinion on this?

any feedback would be most welcome...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
if you go to reputable dept stores like nordstrom or saks, you will find often their brand new shoes mostly all will have some sort of minimal scuffs and creasing . due to not only customer try-ons, but also handling during circulation.

it is inevitable. even boutiques and online purchases of brand new shoes come with a minimum of a few scuffs here and there.

it is only unacceptable if the scuffs are visibly too much and /or may actually be abrasions and the shoes look clearly not in a pristine NEW condition

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you in the US? If you have to pay return shipping, it's not worth it. Keep them.

Those look like the full calf loakes. You should buy a leather conditioner and apply it, the scuffs might very well be invisible afterwards.

If this doesnt work, they will most certainly become invisible after your first polish. Which shouldn't be long after you wear them the first time.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm based in Melbourne, Aus so postage really hurts when having things shipped out here ... (I think it was about GBP20 to get them out here in the first place)

I'll email the guys at Pediwear and see what they have to say ...then provide you guys with an update

Thanks for your help so far!

G

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget about the small marks. You'll get more and eventually they'll all add to the patina of the shoes. I have about 10 pairs of Loakes from Pediwear and I'm happy with them all. In the laceups I take the same size as you - 8F and they are great but for some reason the loafers I got in suede and black (Eton) I needed 8.5F so be careful if you are buying those. Even with the shipping you'll still save about $200 on the cost of Loakes in Melbourne.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
Even with the shipping you'll still save about $200 on the cost of Loakes in Melbourne.

Not sure about $200 savings (my savings on this pair were about $40 I think ... but should get better with the 15% discount as part of the Loake club ...

Which do you think attract the best discounts to those found in Melbourne?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics