• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about shoe trees

IB240996

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm wondering whether I need to get lasted shoe trees for more expensive shoes or if a generic set will do. If generics will do, which do you recommend?

Thank you.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seriously need to search before starting a new thread.

IB240996

Reaction score
I searched. Maybe I don't know how to search the forum but I didn't find anything useful.

My question is actually specific to Barker Black shoes, which run a little narrower than what I've noticed most people here wear. I know I didn't put it in the title.

MLIW

Reaction score
Obviously then people will say the above answer!

IB240996

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MLIW
Obviously then people will say the above answer!

Huh?

Since I didn't find anything, would it be that hard to point me in the right direction? If the topic has been covered so extensively, why not just post a useful link and let the thread die?

OR - since it's a pretty simple question, why not just take a minute and answer it?

cheers.gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the costco ones. They are adjustable in the width. Any good cedar ones should do.

IB240996

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Get the costco ones. They are adjustable in the width. Any good cedar ones should do.

I saw a couple of people selling those on the forum and thought they were really nice, especially because, as you mentioned, they are adjustable in the width. I know that natural, unpainted cedar is best for moisture absorption but what I don't know is what benefits lasted trees provide.

Thanks for the recommendation.

jon5986

Reaction score
Going forward you should try and purchase shoe trees from the company you buy shoes from. They will normally fit the shoe best.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jon5986
Going forward you should try and purchase shoe trees from the company you buy shoes from. They will normally fit the shoe best.

it is not a real benifit. They look better and cost about 10X more.

NOT WORTH IT. Just make sure you use trees man.

Now if you had gone for a pair of $7K bespoke shoes, yes, get the lasted trees as it is your last.

IB240996

Reaction score
I'll take a picture of the upper of the shoes in question (I have a pair built on the same last) and the lasted set of shoe trees that I bought for that pair.
These shoes have a fit that's very close to the foot (I would describe it as fitting like a glove) and they have a pretty narrow cut and a low-sloping upper.
They're not cheap and I'm concerned that using a bulky tree might deform them but would like to avoid the expense of buying lasted trees again. The shoes I may be able to justify, $130 trees I can't, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Thanks for the input, guys.

IB240996

Reaction score
OK, here are the pictures:
Note the arch on the shoe tree.

First, the shoe:
DSC00257.jpg

and the lasted tree:
DSC00259.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics