• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question About Pairing Blazer with Trousers

JrayB

Reaction score
I have a hickey sport blazer that I bought and am having trouble finding trousers that pair well with the blazer. The closest thing I could find is these gray flannel trousers but I don't think they pair well because of the texture of the jacket. What do you guys think? The jacket says is 100% worsted wool but what is this design called where there is a rough uniform texture to the wool? And does anyone have suggestions for what type of trousers to pair with this jacket? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• ddd.jpg
    ddd.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 45
  • adfasdfadsv.jpg
    adfasdfadsv.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 46
  • dasfasdfas.jpg
    dasfasdfas.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 127
  • sfasdfa.jpg
    sfasdfa.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 131

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The patch pockets suggest casual but the material itself suggests that it’s an orphaned suit jacket.

I’m having a hard time distinguishing the color of the jacket.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It can be hard to accurately capture colors in photos. My impression is that your photo doesn't accurately reflect the color of the trousers -- seems to have a warm tone that I suspect is not actually there in real life.

Depending on how the fabric feels in real life, I think you can wear that with the grey trousers you laid out, a light blue oxford cloth button-down shirt, and some black tassel loafers. The fabric is called worsted because the fibers were combed before the yarn spinning process, which makes the fabric smoother. The pattern in your sport coat is called birdseye. Some worsted birdseye fabrics are meant to be worn as suit jackets only; it depends on the scale of the pattern and feel of the fabric.

As a personal matter, I think the jacket would look better with a lower break on the lapel and wider lapels.

Last edited:

Panama

Reaction score
Just go for smart tan Chinos, but not with Oxfords. Never ever with Oxfords.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oxfords and chinos are not proper nouns. You don't have to capitalize them.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the autocorrect feature on most phones and other devices typically does this automatically. Some of us are just too lazy to give a damn and figure those reading it will focus on the content vs. style. Of course, we realize this rarely applies to you.

But thank you for your ever present policing of our grammar. I’m sure your reply above added significantly to the topic at hand.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the autocorrect feature on most phones and other devices typically does this automatically. Some of us are just too lazy to give a damn and figure those reading it will focus on the content vs. style. Of course, we realize this rarely applies to you.

But thank you for your ever present policing of our grammar. I’m sure your reply above added significantly to the topic at hand.

Seems like the poster doesn't know when to capitalize, so I thought I'd give some tips. That's all.

Great, let's polute the Oceans with synthetics. We don't really need Dolphins, Seals, Penguins and Whales to be honest.

Panama

Reaction score

JrayB

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. I never thought about pairing this with tan colored pants but that might actually work.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ngl...
I enjoy the on and off, subtle, sartorial Cold War that goes on.

JrayB

Reaction score
It can be hard to accurately capture colors in photos. My impression is that your photo doesn't accurately reflect the color of the trousers -- seems to have a warm tone that I suspect is not actually there in real life.

Depending on how the fabric feels in real life, I think you can wear that with the grey trousers you laid out, a light blue oxford cloth button-down shirt, and some black tassel loafers. The fabric is called worsted because the fibers were combed before the yarn spinning process, which makes the fabric smoother. The pattern in your sport coat is called birdseye. Some worsted birdseye fabrics are meant to be worn as suit jackets only; it depends on the scale of the pattern and feel of the fabric.

As a personal matter, I think the jacket would look better with a lower break on the lapel and wider lapels.
Thank you. Now I know what it's called I was able to find a picture of this jacket and the model was wearing gray wool trousers just like the ones I have with a black t-shirt. I guess the troubling part for is pairing this bumpy type of texture with smooth trousers just seems a little off-putting.

BPL Esq

Reaction score

Could be a habit related to familiarity with a foreign language. For example, all nouns are capitalized in German.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads