• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about napoli suit style.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.auctionworks.com/store....1992810 If u look that the pic of that Attolini suit, you will notice that there are kinks and dent on the top of shoulder line. The seller said some Napoli suits put that on purpose as it is classic Napoli signature styling. Is this true? I thought thoses were miktakes ..

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the puckering at the shoulders is there on purpose - it is a characteristic of the Neapolitan shoulder and gives the otherwise very natural, lightly padded shoulder and elegant and understated shape (unlike the Savile Row and Roman style shoulders, which are highly structured). This type of work requires extensive handstitching and is a sign of a true artisanship.

Attolini makes (IMO) superlative suits (particularly the jackets) and shirts. Plus, the seller is impeccable, and although his prices are a little steep for resale, you'll get a great product and terrific (and prompt) service.

I'm not affiliated, except as a one time customer of his Ebay shop, and a somewhat more frequent customer at his Santa Monica streetwear shop. But the guy is great - and this from quite a critical customer.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the puckering at the shoulders is there on purpose - it is a characteristic of the Neapolitan shoulder and gives the otherwise very natural, lightly padded shoulder and elegant and understated shape (unlike the Savile Row and Roman style shoulders, which are highly structured).  This type of work requires extensive handstitching and is a sign of a true artisanship.

Attolini makes (IMO) superlative suits (particularly the jackets) and shirts. Plus, the seller is impeccable, and although his prices are a little steep for resale, you'll get a great product and terrific (and prompt) service.

I'm not affiliated, except as a one time customer of his Ebay shop, and a somewhat more frequent customer at his Santa Monica streetwear shop.  But the guy is great - and this from quite a critical customer.
LA Guy, I do not know how far u live away from this guy's store .. but if could do the following for the people on this board it would be very nice:

Could you be able to ask Ian to show you one of his Attolini and Borrelli suits that he is selling on ebay and you can exam it in person .. the quality and authenticity .. etc .. report back to us?

Or have you done that already?

Thanks

regularjoe

Reaction score
Could you be able to ask Ian to show you one of his Attolini and Borrelli suits that he is selling on ebay and you can exam it in person .. the quality and authenticity .. etc .. report back to us?
I know there's a lot going around about fake suits on EBay, but I don't think anyone is going to great lengths to fake an Attolini or Borrelli.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LA Guy, I do not know how far u live away from this guy's store .. but if could do the following for the people on this board it would be very nice:

Or have you done that already?

Thanks

I actually live in Massachusetts these days, so I can't really do that. But I know his sources (or at least knew some of his old ones - he used to have stuff from Scott and Co., one of the best stores in LA, IMO) and have seen his wares in person before, and they are the real deal - his quoted retail prices are absolutely accurate as well, and not at all exaggerated. They are the ticket prices one would see at any high end retailer (unless he suddenly went from being very honest and reliable to being a complete ass overnight.) When he says that a suit is brand new, they are in the same condition as when they left the factory floor.

You can quote me on that.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just checked out the link you posted.... In my opinion that is not a Neapolitan shoulder - it looks more like a suit that has been packed too tightly and the shoulder has been squashed. A real Neapolitan shoulder's pleating is quite different, you will definitely not miss it. If you note, most (if not all) his Borrellis and Attolinis do not have this "pleating". Speaking with A.Harris, he told me that in the States they don't usually order that type of shoulder since many people consider it a defect.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by LA Guy:
When he says that a suit is brand new, they are in the same condition as when they left the factory floor.
But Borrellis and Attolinis do not leave the factory floor with finished buttonholes..... These must be store displays or orders that were not picked up.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But Borrellis and Attolinis do not leave the factory floor with finished buttonholes..... These must be store displays or orders that were not picked up.

I don't know about Attolini, but I *have* seen some Borrelli RTW with finished everything.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But Borrellis and Attolinis do not leave the factory floor with finished buttonholes..... Â These must be store displays or orders that were not picked up.
I don't know about Attolini, but I *have* seen some Borrelli RTW with finished everything.
That must be in the States. The stores I've checked out in Italy have unfinished buttonholes.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by LA Guy:
Quote:
When he says that a suit is brand new, they are in the same condition as when they left the factory floor.
But Borrellis and Attolinis do not leave the factory floor with finished buttonholes..... Â These must be store displays or orders that were not picked up.
Right on. Â When I was picking up my Brioni RTW and Armani MTM, both of those suits sleeves were undone. Â Sales person said high end garment comes in this way originally and sleeved are done in house tailor according to my preference. So, when i was looking at this guys Attolini suits, and i see buttons were already done (not sugern cuff .. sigh ..) I was getting suspious as well. Reguarding the puckering on the shoulder .. if this is result of packing the suit tight or whatever, do I need to take this suit to tailor, open the shoulder seam and correct the problem? Â then that would cost $$$ So what now
confused.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All quotes originally posted by MilanoStyle:
So, when i was looking at this guys Attolini suits, and i see buttons were already done (not sugern cuff .. sigh ..) I was getting suspious as well.
Well according to LA guy, he has seen some with finished buttonholes. I find this a bit crazy since not all men have the same arm lengths, and to alter it to fit means shortening it at the shoulder - an expensive and difficult process (and in the hands of a so-so tailor, potentially ruinous).
Reguarding the puckering on the shoulder .. if this is result of packing the suit tight or whatever, do I need to take this suit to tailor, open the shoulder seam and correct the problem? then that would cost $$$
I think a pressing by a tailor should fix the problem.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That must be in the States. Â The stores I've checked out in Italy have unfinished buttonholes.
Maybe. Â On the other hand, in Germany, I've seen many RTW suits with finished pants. Â Wierd.
Yes, but those generally tend to be the lower tier suits such as Dressler, Atelier Torino, YSL, etc. Then again, I've seen some Cornelianis (albeit the cheaper CC Collection and Trend) that have finished legs.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(LA Guy @ 27 Aug. 2004, 8:07) Quote That must be in the States. Â The stores I've checked out in Italy have unfinished buttonholes.
Maybe. Â On the other hand, in Germany, I've seen many RTW suits with finished pants. Â Wierd.
Yes, but those generally tend to be the lower tier suits such as Dressler, Atelier Torino, YSL, etc. Â Then again, I've seen some Cornelianis (albeit the cheaper CC Collection and Trend) that have finished legs.[/quote] so, question comes down to this .. should i bid with confidence with this seller ??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads