• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about my watch

mk.ultra

Reaction score
...and before you say it I already posed the question in the quick question thread. however I'm assuming not many people look at it because its still unanswered.

My current watch is an automatic Seiko 5. I essentially know nothing about how it works, but I do know that it's powered by a pendulum that swings around with movement. How long will it stay powered for if I don't wear it every day? Would it's life significantly decrease if I only wore it say, once a week?

JustChris

Reaction score
Not sure about the movement in your watch specifically, but most automatics have a power reserve of about 40 hrs. Longevity shouldn't be significantly affected by infrequent wear.

shanker

Reaction score
10 and 72 hours is the range of the power reserve. As said, 40 is average.

For the health of your peice, it is best to keep it running. Keeps the lubricants from congealing and gives the best accuracy. Congealing is more of a concern in colder climates. Simply wind it once per day to keep it running. Takes less than 10 seconds.

Store it in either the crown down position or in the dial up position.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shanker
10 and 72 hours is the range of the power reserve. As said, 40 is average.

For the health of your peice, it is best to keep it running. Keeps the lubricants from congealing and gives the best accuracy. Congealing is more of a concern in colder climates. Simply wind it once per day to keep it running. Takes less than 10 seconds.

Store it in either the crown down position or in the dial up position.

Yeah probably about 48hrs.

thunderthighs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shanker
For the health of your peice, it is best to keep it running. Keeps the lubricants from congealing and gives the best accuracy. Congealing is more of a concern in colder climates. Simply wind it once per day to keep it running. Takes less than 10 seconds. Store it in either the crown down position or in the dial up position.
Sorry but this is no longer true. The "congealing" issue might have been a problem with older lubricants but modern synthetic ones like those typically used by Seiko don't require constant running. The instructions for the 7s26 in particular (the movement most typically used in recent Seiko 5's, and also in the SKX007 diver I'm wearing now) don't even mention it, only recommending a service check every 2-3 years for the seals and gaskets if you actually use it for diving. Also, the 7s26 can't be wound anyway, and I don't think storage position matters. The 7s26 is a no-frills and inexpensively-made mass-produced movement that is designed for long and reliable service life, and doesn't need to be babied like some of the more expensive hand made ones (I've owned some of those too, such as a Piguet 1151 in my Blancpain Aqua Lung). It's as wear-it-and-forget-it as one can get in the automatic watch world.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thunderthighs
Sorry but this is no longer true. The "congealing" issue might have been a problem with older lubricants but modern synthetic ones like those typically used by Seiko don't require constant running. The instructions for the 7s26 in particular (the movement most typically used in recent Seiko 5's, and also in the SKX007 diver I'm wearing now) don't even mention it, only recommending a service check every 2-3 years for the seals and gaskets if you actually use it for diving.

Also, the 7s26 can't be wound anyway, and I don't think storage position matters. The 7s26 is a no-frills and inexpensively-made mass-produced movement that is designed for long and reliable service life, and doesn't need to be babied like some of the more expensive hand made ones (I've owned some of those too, such as a Piguet 1151 in my Blancpain Aqua Lung). It's as wear-it-and-forget-it as one can get in the automatic watch world.

exactly this. +1,000,000

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mk.ultra
...and before you say it I already posed the question in the quick question thread. however I'm assuming not many people look at it because its still unanswered.

My current watch is an automatic Seiko 5. I essentially know nothing about how it works, but I do know that it's powered by a pendulum that swings around with movement. How long will it stay powered for if I don't wear it every day? Would it's life significantly decrease if I only wore it say, once a week?

What model is it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads