• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about M&S slim suits

bonoz

Reaction score
Please observe:

I just measured my chest and it is a 35. I am a short guy, so I'm thinking going with the short option is wise. I like a very nice and slim fit.

My questions are:

1) Should I go for a 36? or a 34? Would a 34 be a bit "more" than 34 and fit my 35 chest?

2) Would the shorter suit length of their slim fit range fit me like a normal suit since I'm on the short side?

3) Would M&S ship to USA? And if so, how long would that take? Does anyone have experience with it?

4) Any comments on the suits I have picked out above?​

Thanks

blackwar12

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what the measurements are for those suits? I'm interested in getting a 36S or 36R I think, but they don't list shoulder/chest lengths anywhere.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
A 36 suit is designed to be worn by someone with a 36 inch chest, but it will not actually be 36 inches around. More like 40"”you need to breath. But in general I wouldn't size down. If the shoulders fit you can take fabric out of the chest, but you can't add any.

As for short sizes, generally you should get one if you're 5'8" and under. But it depends on how long your torso is compared to your legs.

020-banker

Reaction score
I have found the M&S suits to be sized a little large. I am a 38R typically, but a 36R still would have needed to be taken in. I was swimming in a 38R.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bonoz
4) Any comments on the suits I have picked out above?

They're cheap polyester suits - is there any reason why you'd go to all the effort of getting these shipped over to the USA? Can't help but think you'd be able to get something comparable closer to home and for less money...

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst I haven't seen these particular suits M&S clothes tend to be cut fairly large/sack-like. Their suits are also kind of crappy these days, so I can't imagine a polyester one is up to much.

What about something like this?
http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...earSuits!36007
It costs a bit more but is better quality, and they tend to be very helpful so I am sure you could get specific measurement details from them.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The TM Lewin one I suggested is under $500, and whilst I haven't tried their new slimmer fitting suit line I have a dinner jacket from them that I am quite pleased with for the price. The fabric they use is ok, they are half canvassed and their sales staff are generally helpful/obliging. M&S enjoys a good reputation on the internet due to an article by Thomas Mahon, a respected tailor, and most of the people, at least on this forum, are Americans so they don't often see the actual suits. Either their quality has gone down since Mahon wrote the article, or the good quality he was referring to is a very specific line, because most of their stuff is awful. They may sell some good stuff, I have to admit I don't check very often since their stuff is a little "old" and sack like in cut for me, but everything I have seen in the past few years has been pretty bad.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysc
They may sell some good stuff, I have to admit I don't check very often since their stuff is a little "old" and sack like in cut for me, but everything I have seen in the past few years has been pretty bad.
I think a lot of the reputation is based on the quality of the construction (at least at the price-point) - they can make good "beater" suits, but the cuts are disappointingly boxy and a significant amount of them seem to end up with a large dose of polyester in them to make them "easy care".

I wouldn't know enough about US retailers to know where to suggest going for a $500 suit, but my personal strategy would be to go to the local suit shop(s) and try on dozens until I found one I liked and that fitted (as of yet, this hasn't resulted in me buying an M&S suit!). Mail order is something I'd only consider if there was a free return-and-exchange policy if items didn't fit...

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 020-banker
I have found the M&S suits to be sized a little large. I am a 38R typically, but a 36R still would have needed to be taken in. I was swimming in a 38R.

i agree with this. i tried on some suits in m&s a few days ago, and i'm usually a 38, and their 36's fit me OK. still too much fabric around the waist though. pretty sure the suits I tried on were labeled 'slim' too.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GrumbleGrumble
They're cheap polyester suits - is there any reason why you'd go to all the effort of getting these shipped over to the USA? Can't help but think you'd be able to get something comparable closer to home and for less money...

This.

Another level

Reaction score
M&S doesn't really cater for the smaller guy and a lot of their clothes have a fuller cut despite saying slim cut on the labels.

If you decide to go ahead with the purchase, set aside a fair amount of money for alterations.

From the polyester suits I've seen in M&S I would stay clear of them. Yes, some of them are nice to look at but really lousy fit.

I'm 37" chest and the jacket at 36R was still too big for me. I can't comment on 34R as I never ever see them in M&S.

Personally, I would not want to be seen dead wearing their clothes.

bonoz

Reaction score
Just wanted to express my thanks for all the help here. It's quite adequate in shifting my decision against buying M&S.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads