1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Levi's 511 and 514

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by AtLeastITried, Aug 6, 2008.

1. AtLeastITried

AtLeastITried Member

My Jean Question
    I'm shopping for a pair of slim jeans. I have rather large quads because I do a lot of running and biking, but overall I have a pretty slim figure. Which Levi's slim-fit do you recommend:
    The 514-Slim-Straight?
    OR
    The 511-Very Slim?

Another question. I tried on the 514 and the 33 waist was a little snug but the 34 waist was a little too loose for a slim jean. Will the 33 waist stretch out after a few wearings or should I just go for the 34?

Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

2. Joshua Arson

Joshua Arson Senior member

I have pretty big thighs from biking too, and 511s are pretty damn tight, while 514s fit pretty well. If the 33s are only a bit snug, I'd get those since they'll stretch out a bit.

1 person likes this.
  3. AtLeastITried

AtLeastITried Member

Thank you!
    I'm not looking to get any fading on the thigh area, is there a very dark blue color that will not fade? Are there any keywords in the color description that indicate ability to fade that I should avoid?

Again, any input is appreciated.
    Thank you!

4. unrated

unrated Senior member

I just purchased a pair of 511's from Macy's yesterday (for $18, gotta love gift cards [​IMG] ). I love the cut on them and for the price point, its pretty fucking awesome. The ones I bought will fade. It actually says this on the tag: "To keep it dark & clean wash as little as possible (dry clean if neccessary)" "For a washed and worn look, wash mildly until it fades to your body" "Dyes used to create this jean may transfer to other garments or upholstery" The distressed models do not have that tag.

5. AtLeastITried

AtLeastITried Member

I'm saying, how can I ensure that I buy a color that will not fade or distress? And should I get bootcut leg opening or straight leg opening? I'm about 5-10.

Any input is, of course, appreciated.
    Thank you!

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

514 for those with thicker thighs, definitely.

7. AtLeastITried

AtLeastITried Member

Someone? Bootcut or straight leg?

8. robbie

robbie Senior member

buy the tumbled rigid 514's.
    wash in cold water often so the color doesn't fade and never tumble dry.

they will fit you, and they won't fade(much).

9. Doppler4000

Doppler4000 Well-Known Member

I grabbed a new pair of 514's yesterday. Found a pair with minimal pre-wash at a big discount store (Kohls). Maybe the Levi store would have more selection but can't beat the price at around $25 where I went just to try them out if you can find a darker pair. Really like the fit-- slim but not that super skinny look, so definitely the kind to get if your legs are a little bigger.

10. Fat-Elvis

Fat-Elvis Senior member

buy the tumbled rigid 514's.
    wash in cold water often so the color doesn't fade and never tumble dry.

they will fit you, and they won't fade(much).

I'm thinking of buying a pair today. When you say wash in cold water so the color doesn't fade, you mean doesn't fade compared to washing in warm/hot water, right? And would you get good fading if you did eventually wash in warm water?

11. Wholagan

Wholagan Member

I have a pair of 514's and 511's and I am part of the thick thigh club. I like them both but I lean a little towards the 511's since the leg opening is smaller which works better with chucks. I did size them up a couple sizes though as the true size was a little too tight on the thigh. My true waist is a 31 and I went with a 33.

12. car-zone

car-zone New Member

What exactly is the difference between Levi's 511 and 514? When I go to their website, it says that both are low rise and slim straight. Is there a difference in the rise?From what I can tell, the 511's have some distress marks above the thigh, but otherwise I can't really tell the difference. Also, are slim straights meant to be worn primarily in a very dark wash? I have a pair of very dark blue (almost black) 514's already, so I was thinking of getting another pair in a regular dark blue wash, instead of a nearly black color.

13. Fat-Elvis

Fat-Elvis Senior member

I have thickish thighs and probably more ass than the average person on this board, and the 511s were ridiculously tight on me. The 514s fit fine as long as I sized up one in the waist. The 511s just look ridiculous in general IMO, but I guess that look is currently fashionable regardless.

14. phildo

phildo Senior member

The 511's fit me very well and I'm a lanky bastard.

The 514's would probably be a better fit for someone with a lot of muscle in the legs. Or you could possibly size up with 511's if you want a smaller leg opening.

15. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

What exactly is the difference between Levi's 511 and 514? When I go to their website, it says that both are low rise and slim straight.
    They're lying. 511 is tapered, 514 is straight.

16. robbie

robbie Senior member

the difference between 511 and 514 denim models is the 511 and 510 are for people who prefer to choke their balls, whereas the 514 is roomy enough to prevent such a tragedy from happening.

the 511 twills are perfect however IMO and Levis is finally offering a TON of them through UO
    khaki,white,navy,and two plaids.

17. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

i sized up one in the 514s but found they loosened up a bit in the waist. next pair i'd probably buy true to size.

the wife recently bought a white leather shoulder bag and was wearing her dark wash levis... you can probably guess the rest of the story.

18. Cas Ruffin

Cas Ruffin Senior member

I'm not a fan of tight ass jeans. Go for the 514s.

19. phildo

phildo Senior member

the difference between 511 and 514 denim models is the 511 and 510 are for people who prefer to choke their balls, whereas the 514 is roomy enough to prevent such a tragedy from happening.

the 511 twills are perfect however IMO and Levis is finally offering a TON of them through UO
    khaki,white,navy,and two plaids.

I went to UO a couple days ago but they never have those [​IMG] All they have is the stupid spandex looking 510's. Can't order online since I'm in Canada and shipping is insane.

20. bc78

bc78 Senior member

That sums it up well. I've owned 5 pairs of 514 through the years.