• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Jantzen

maxse01

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So as you can tell I'm a newbie here. I'm also a newbie to dress clothes.
What I mean is that I only own one suit and maybe 2 dress shirts and 2 ties.

I am 24 and am just starting my career, which sort of requires me to dress nice. And I always wanted to wear nice clothes but could never afford it. But let me just say that I am still in professional school so no super expensive stuff yet.

Just to give you guys an idea, I love the show Nip/Tuck and how Christian Troy dresses. Suits, and bright shirt. Or bright tie.. I don't mind those colors...

Anyway, I see many people wear dress shirts with say white w/ blue strips but the cuffs would be crispy white, and so would the collar. I like these best and think they look very classy/expensive and sharp.

My price range is no more than $50/shirt. I would like to try out Jantzen but Im not sure it's necessary because I am 16 and 32/33. But can Jantzen make me a shirt like I want, meaning to have a certain fabric, but have the cuffs and collar both be white regardless of the shirt type?

Any suggestions in general? Oh yea, and they have to be French cuffed. Thanks guys and I apologize for the long post but I had to make a little intro. Thanks again.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm pretty sure Jantzen can do contrast collar/cuffs if that's what you want, as can anywhere that does MTM shirts...

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have only 2 dress shirts at the moment. You should not try Jantzen nor should you go for a contrast collar and cuff. Buying from Jantzen is no guarantee you will get your shirts when you really need them.

JordanH.

Reaction score
first, i think that you should buy a few of the more plain solid colored shirts in white, light blue, french blue, pink, etc. after you have these, i'd buy more ties in grey, a few different darker blues, maybe a royal blue, maroon, and whatever else you see that catches your eye. i'd probably only go for jantzen after i have other shirts to depend on.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I hope you reconsider doing the Jantzen route. For one, upnorth is right, there is no guarantee you'll get your shirts when you need them, and also if you get measurements wrong you'd end up paying more for alterations here. If I were you I'd sooner get OTR shirts on sale and if the fit isn't good, have them sent to a decent tailor.

maxse01

Reaction score
sounds good guys. Except these kind of shirts are very pricey in NYC. Especially the fact that I don't have the time to actually go out to a store that much.

I won't be needing to wear a dress shirt for at least a couple of months.

I have a Geoffrey Beane Black shirt that is nice. BUT it looks like Im wearing a Balloon because it's loose around my stomach area.

Now Im not a super skinny guy so I don't want something skin tight, but I don't like the ones I have now because while they look nice it doesn't really portray any sense of style...

Can you guys recommend some links online for a fitted type shirt that Im looking for, for around $50?

I'm pretty much a perfect 16 32/33 OTR size.

marcelo ricco

Reaction score
During my oct 3 trip to HK, I went to Jantzen and was treated very rudely and was about to insult them but thought better of it given that HK is part of PRC. Anyway, try Rajawongse Dress for Success or ANS International. Both are in bangkok and do great work, check out their websites and read their credentials. ANS ranges from $30-100 per shirt and Rajawongse is about $33 per shirt.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marcelo ricco
During my oct 3 trip to HK, I went to Jantzen and was treated very rudely and was about to insult them but thought better of it given that HK is part of PRC. Anyway, try Rajawongse Dress for Success or ANS International. Both are in bangkok and do great work, check out their websites and read their credentials. ANS ranges from $30-100 per shirt and Rajawongse is about $33 per shirt.

Really? I've seen their work, and have walked past by their establishments. Take away all that faux-hype they do in the magazines, their shirts are pretty lame and ill-fitting. I'd compare it to buying a BR shirt with the sleeves already altered.

maxse01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Really? I've seen their work, and have walked past by their establishments. Take away all that faux-hype they do in the magazines, their shirts are pretty lame and ill-fitting. I'd compare it to buying a BR shirt with the sleeves already altered.

Which one are you referring to?

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for ANS (as I have not tried them) but my experience with Rajawongse was a disaster. The fit was one of the worst amongst my dress shirts and the quality is nothing to write home about. I get better fits buying OTR and having the sides taken in. Those credentials mean nothing and Sam from Hong Kong belongs to that category as well.

I think the reason most Thai-Indian tailors thrive is because they are good salesmen i.e. they can speak several languages reasonably well, not because their quality is good. There are several pure Thai/ Thai Chinese tailors whose attention to details and fit are miles better.

Millerp

Reaction score
Can you guys recommend some links online for a fitted type shirt that Im looking for, for around $50?
You might want to look at Paul Fredrick online for ready to wear shirts.

http://www.paulfredrick.com//Default.aspx

They are not the greatest, but they are at your price point.
They have a big selection, some with contrasting collars, and some come in trim fit.

They shrink a little if you don't use cold water, so I would size up the collar and cuffs, but YMMV.

I would suggest buying just one at first and if you don't like it, return it.

scot

Reaction score
My shirts from jantzen fit fine, even the first order. Not perfect, but good. Get someone else to measure you.

As for in store, yep they are a bit rude but it is part of their "charm". Just step in and mix with the system and they are fine. They try to push the "I know better than you" thing a bit much, but just remain calm, and say something like "right, but I would rather have it like this" and they will work with you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads