• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question About Jacket Length

khaller

Reaction score
It seems that there is only one cardinal rule when determining proper jacket length (cover your butt). However, there must be a maximum length past your butt that a jacket must not extend beyond. I'm looking into a used Huntsman that is 1.5 inches longer in the back than my best fitting blazer, which is about an inch past my butt at 30.5 inches. Any thoughts?

stach

Reaction score
Arm at sides, you should be able to curl your fingers up and grab the hem of the jacket without causing folds in the fabric.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stach
Arm at sides, you should be able to curl your fingers up and grab the hem of the jacket without causing folds in the fabric.

But what if one has unusually long or short arms?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaller
It seems that there is only one cardinal rule when determining proper jacket length (cover your butt). However, there must be a maximum length past your butt that a jacket must not extend beyond. I'm looking into a used Huntsman that is 1.5 inches longer in the back than my best fitting blazer, which is about an inch past my butt at 30.5 inches. Any thoughts?
Yeah, if it's 1.5 inches longer than your blazer for a total of 33 inches, it's going to look obviously long on you. Don't waste your money.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
tomasso is right forget the fingers. its the butt cover plus one inch. if you shorten the jacket in question 1 1/2 " the pockets will be too too close to the bottom.

wheelerray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
But what if one has unusually long or short arms?

Thats me. Right length is clear to the tip of my fingers. (Short arms).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads