• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Question About Jacket Length

khaller

Reaction score
It seems that there is only one cardinal rule when determining proper jacket length (cover your butt). However, there must be a maximum length past your butt that a jacket must not extend beyond. I'm looking into a used Huntsman that is 1.5 inches longer in the back than my best fitting blazer, which is about an inch past my butt at 30.5 inches. Any thoughts?

stach

Reaction score
Arm at sides, you should be able to curl your fingers up and grab the hem of the jacket without causing folds in the fabric.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stach
Arm at sides, you should be able to curl your fingers up and grab the hem of the jacket without causing folds in the fabric.

But what if one has unusually long or short arms?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaller
It seems that there is only one cardinal rule when determining proper jacket length (cover your butt). However, there must be a maximum length past your butt that a jacket must not extend beyond. I'm looking into a used Huntsman that is 1.5 inches longer in the back than my best fitting blazer, which is about an inch past my butt at 30.5 inches. Any thoughts?
Yeah, if it's 1.5 inches longer than your blazer for a total of 33 inches, it's going to look obviously long on you. Don't waste your money.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
tomasso is right forget the fingers. its the butt cover plus one inch. if you shorten the jacket in question 1 1/2 " the pockets will be too too close to the bottom.

wheelerray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
But what if one has unusually long or short arms?

Thats me. Right length is clear to the tip of my fingers. (Short arms).

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.