1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Question About Jacket Length

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by khaller, Jul 31, 2006.

1. khaller

khaller Well-Known Member

It seems that there is only one cardinal rule when determining proper jacket length (cover your butt). However, there must be a maximum length past your butt that a jacket must not extend beyond. I'm looking into a used Huntsman that is 1.5 inches longer in the back than my best fitting blazer, which is about an inch past my butt at 30.5 inches. Any thoughts?

2. stach

stach Senior member

Arm at sides, you should be able to curl your fingers up and grab the hem of the jacket without causing folds in the fabric.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Arm at sides, you should be able to curl your fingers up and grab the hem of the jacket without causing folds in the fabric.

But what if one has unusually long or short arms?

4. dah328

dah328 Senior member

It seems that there is only one cardinal rule when determining proper jacket length (cover your butt). However, there must be a maximum length past your butt that a jacket must not extend beyond. I'm looking into a used Huntsman that is 1.5 inches longer in the back than my best fitting blazer, which is about an inch past my butt at 30.5 inches. Any thoughts?
    Yeah, if it's 1.5 inches longer than your blazer for a total of 33 inches, it's going to look obviously long on you. Don't waste your money.

5. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

tomasso is right forget the fingers. its the butt cover plus one inch. if you shorten the jacket in question 1 1/2 " the pockets will be too too close to the bottom.

6. wheelerray

wheelerray Senior member

But what if one has unusually long or short arms?

Thats me. Right length is clear to the tip of my fingers. (Short arms).

7. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Your used jacket sounds about right. Take it to your tailor and ask if they need to shorten it for you.