• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about J.Crew sportcoat breast pocket

kidmoe85

Reaction score
I recently purchased a J. Crew herringbone sportcoat (Ludlow) and I'm unsure if the breast pocket is useable. It is sown shut and I can't tell if you're supposed to remove the stitching or not. On the product page you can see that the model is wearing the sportcoat with a pocket square. The problem is that the pocket is very securely sown shut - very different from the single stitch holding the vents in the rear. Those were obviously meant to be removed but I'm worried that I will ruin this nice sportcoat if I try cutting open the stitches in the breast pocket. Anyone have any experience with the Ludlow sportcoat? Thanks

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be very unusual for this to be any more than stitching for transport/.display purposes. Undo it carefully.

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
Just grab some seam-pickers or a very sharp knife and pick through them carefully. Often this is just for transport/display - J Crew has loads of pocket squares kicking around their site so you can safely assume that it's easily undoable without damaging the jacket.

On a side not - what's the quality of the J Crew Ludlow? I'm considering getting one.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It would be very unusual for this to be any more than stitching for transport/.display purposes. Undo it carefully.

:nodding:

kidmoe85

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Turns out the stitching was not as tight as I thought. Once I cut through the first stitch it opened up very easily.

I really like the quality and shape of the Ludlow coat so far - I ordered a 36s and it's almost a perfect fit in the shoulders and sleeves. It's a little tight in the chest area but I have a somewhat broad chest and I'm about 10lbs heavier than my normal weight. Once I drop the weight it should fit really well and I doubt I will need to make any alterations.

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
Great, many thanks for the reply, I'll look into getting one. The herringbone one you've got interests me as I think it's got a really nice texture to it.

Enjoy the jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads