• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about how a jacket should hang when unbuttoned

bluemax

Reaction score
When unbuttoned, should a jacket always hang against your chest/stomach? I just bought my first sportcoat, and when it's unbuttoned it points forward a little. Is this normal? Sorry if this sounds dumb, I'm a complete jacket noob.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MOAR drape.

bluemax

Reaction score
I don't understand how drape would affect this. It seems like the material is too stiff which is what keeps it from laying flush against me.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
Why bother unbuttoning your jacket?

Haha.

I have the same problem with my more closely fitted less expensive (read: fused) jackets. I have broad shoulders and a fairly built chest along with an 8.5in drop. Causes problems with cheaper garments when I want them to fit well. Buttoning them keeps them from acting up.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tend to keep my jackets buttoned but I do tend to leave my blazers unbuttoned when worn casually.

HPT704

Reaction score
When unbuttoned, should a jacket always hang against your chest/stomach? I just bought my first sportcoat, and when it's unbuttoned it points forward a little. Is this normal? Sorry if this sounds dumb, I'm a complete jacket noob.

I'm having the same issue, were you ever able to resolve this?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let it go with the flow and don't try to build this into something it is not. There are many variables, cut, body, fit (good or bad) and more.

HPT704

Reaction score
Let it go with the flow and don't try to build this into something it is not. There are many variables, cut, body, fit (good or bad) and more.

Ok. Like the previous poster, I think it is due to the stiffness of the material. Would having it pressed or dry cleaned make a difference?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be somewhat concern about trying to remove the original iron work as that contributes to the construction and finished shape, similarly dry cleaning as you advocate could only achieve the objective but "destroying the fusing of a mass produced garment thus damaging its shape and would have no benefit for a fully canvassed coat.

Go with the flow and simple accept the fact that there is no specific cause and that is the natural shape - no one will think anything amiss and you are creating a wholly wrong and daft concept in your mind.

HPT704

Reaction score
Go with the flow and simple accept the fact that there is no specific cause and that is the natural shape - no one will think anything amiss and you are creating a wholly wrong and daft concept in your mind.

Okay, that is good advice and I will accept my suit for what it is, thank you.

At the risk of pressing the issue too much though, is there anything I can do to prevent it when ordering a future suit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads