• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

question about Hermes shoes

hermes man

Reaction score
so I went to 2 local hermes boutiques

but both carry different type of shoes

i believe 1 boutique has older models and another 1 is up to date (since the 2nd store has the same shoes as in the websites)

i am very pissed because the price here is more than 1k$us while in the website they only cost around 750$us-900$us

but the problem is the newer model( i believe since the websites only display them) are all rubber sole...

while the older models has pimping orange leather sole ...

so my question is... is it worth paying 1200$us for rubber sole shoes?

i'll have to pass on the leather sole one.. as much as i love the leather sole but the shoe looks outdated. it could be from 2009 collections. and i wouldt want to risked being labeled as the ebay hermes buyer from the elite aristocrat hermes buyers.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes man
i'll have to pass on the leather sole one.. as much as i love the leather sole but the shoe looks outdated. it could be from 2009 collections. and i wouldt want to risked being labeled as the ebay hermes buyer from the elite aristocrat hermes buyers.

thank you for the chuckle...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
OP should get both...

...in green pebble grain.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who makes Hermes shoes? Personally I think you'd be paying more for the name than the quality. For over $1000 I would buy Lobbs, Vass, EG, etc. Rubber sole? No way not for that much unless you were looking for that

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so I went to 2 local hermes boutiques but both carry different type of shoes i believe 1 boutique has older models and another 1 is up to date (since the 2nd store has the same shoes as in the websites) i am very pissed because the price here is more than 1k$us while in the website they only cost around 750$us-900$us but the problem is the newer model( i believe since the websites only display them) are all rubber sole... while the older models has pimping orange leather sole ... so my question is... is it worth paying 1200$us for rubber sole shoes? i'll have to pass on the leather sole one.. as much as i love the leather sole but the shoe looks outdated. it could be from 2009 collections. and i wouldt want to risked being labeled as the ebay hermes buyer from the elite aristocrat hermes buyers.
I thought you were a part of the aristocracy
... dont forget you are the bottom of the capitalism pyramid, we rule you , we fool you , we shoot at you , we eat for you ...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Who makes Hermes shoes? Personally I think you'd be paying more for the name than the quality. For over $1000 I would buy Lobbs, Vass, EG, etc. Rubber sole? No way not for that much unless you were looking for that
ffffuuuu.gif

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
ffffuuuu.gif

Maybe instead of the face, you could actually tell me who makes the shoes? Clearly I'm not familiar. I only assume as much because some of the expensive Designer brands (Gucci, Prada, etc.) are not a great value in terms of shoe quality vs. Label name price hike.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Maybe instead of the face, you could actually tell me who makes the shoes? Clearly I'm not familiar. I only assume as much because some of the expensive Designer brands (Gucci, Prada, etc.) are not a great value in terms of shoe quality vs. Label name price hike.
FWIW - Hermes makes Lobbs - so... no, you're probably not getting MUCH better shoes when you buy JL , if you're looking at the Hermes in the same price level.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
FWIW - Hermes makes Lobbs -

Other way around, and I don't think all Hermes shoes are made by JL

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well - technically there are two John Lobbs.

John Lobb Bootmaker still exists in London and makes bespoke only, as far as I understand.

John Lobb Paris is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hermes with a factory in Northampton. Hermes sells shoes made in that factory (high end) and also some lower end shoes (if you call $500 a pair lower end)... but they own all the production assets for both.

awxg

Reaction score
JLP supposedly makes Hermes shoes but the ones I've seen IRL don't look like they were made in JLP standards.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by awxg
JLP supposedly makes Hermes shoes but the ones I've seen IRL don't look like they were made in JLP standards.
I'm curious what you're seeing that's different? They are made on JLP lasts, with channelled, goodyear welted soles, and..Hermes has some of the best leather in the world, so I can't imagine they would spec shoes with a lower calibur leather than the standard line JLP. I don't think the Hermes branded line is made to the Prestige spec, though.

awxg

Reaction score
^ This was almost 2 years ago so I can't recall clearly. A friend of mine showed me his Chapel and a PTB (made for Hermes). The leather/finish on the Chapel looked more pleasing. The Chapel also felt lighter. I can't remember if they were on the same last or if the waist treatment were the same. I'm no shoe expert so take that for what it's worth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads