• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about HDMI cable and PS3

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
The PM button is left to the left of the quote button.

The ignore feature is found in a person's public profile, and the "not clicking on a thread you aren't interested in" feature is found in your brain.

smile.gif

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys took over a thread which had a valid specific question.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You guys took over a thread which had a valid specific question.

Threads evolve. The OP got his answer. We then discussed a related and intertwined subject with the original post. Welcome to the internet.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
******* a. You finally get it! Thats what I've been telling you since we started this. HDMI cables have MORE BANDWIDTH than you need to push 1080p It doesn't matter what they are only "rated to 1080i". If its less than 8 feet, your 1080i cable can push a 1080p signal JUST FINE.

That's not necessarily true. I've seen craptacular cables that cannot pass 1080p, but could pass 1080i.

--Andre

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
That's not necessarily true. I've seen craptacular cables that cannot pass 1080p, but could pass 1080i. --Andre
Unless they are knockoffs or counterfeit HDMI cables, I have not. The HDMI specification defines the protocols, signals, electrical interfaces, and mechanical requirements of the standard. That, however has nothing to do with the "rating" which is designed to sell you more expensive cables. Its an "up sell", just like at the movie theater. You can get a better one for only a dollar more! (except in the case of HDMI, its usually like $20 more) The cheapest Chinese made pieces of crap with the HDMI logo I've ever seen could pass 1080p. Whether they were only rated for 1080i on the packaging or not. My cables on Amazon are $1.79 for a six foot run. I wouldn't want to see what kind of 6 foot HDMI cable costs less than $1.79. Lets just put it that way. If it can't pass 1080p, then maybe you should spend the extra few cents, huh?
smile.gif

bkk

Reaction score
Back to the topic at hand: Another vote for monoprice. If you feel the need, go a head and get the thicker guage, but all in all, its very cheap. In fact, it can be cheaper than what you'd pay for in quantity in Asia (10k range).

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why would he need to buy another cable? The one he's got is fine.

bkk

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed the post(s) where the OP stated he purchased a cable. The lack of electrical engineering knowledge being tossed around pissed me off, so I skipped pages at a time and just said my 2 cents.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I ordered a PS3 for someone that should be arriving soon. I went to monoprice to get a cable and there are a million choices. Can someone tell me the differences? And is there an advantage to monoprice over blue jeans? And next question (sorry teddie for derailing your thread), but what's a good game to get for a girl? She said she liked mortal kombat but is prone to saying stupid things that don't pan out.
Good games for girls on PS3 is hard to say. Little Big Planet is the simplest game, its hard not to enjoy that one. Ratchet & Clank is a bit more complicated, a girl who likes video games could probably get into it because it's not a gore-fest like most big-budget games are these days. There is a new Mortal Kombat out and apparently it's not bad. If she's into the music games, Sony's SingStar is a hit for simple karaoke, and of course there's Rock Band and Guitar Hero (of the two, my pick is RB). Super Stardust HD is really good (downloaded title), and so is Everyday Shooter.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
There is a new Mortal Kombat out and apparently it's not bad. If she's into the music games, Sony's SingStar is a hit for simple karaoke, and of course there's Rock Band and Guitar Hero (of the two, my pick is RB).

Is it just me or does the "action" on the guitar with the Rock Band game suck? I find the Rock Band buttons more difficult to use and press. Where I appear to have more dexterity and coordination with the Guitar Hero guitar, I'm always missing notes in Rock Band.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Is it just me or does the "action" on the guitar with the Rock Band game suck? I find the Rock Band buttons more difficult to use and press. Where I appear to have more dexterity and coordination with the Guitar Hero guitar, I'm always missing notes in Rock Band.
It is the opposite for me, I enjoy the rockband style much more than the guitar hero style. Endless list will do that to you.. I don't like the new mortal combat. Superman should just ... win by default. Same with batman.
The PM button is left to the left of the quote button.
Forum would be much less amusing. Watching someone squirm over the internet, ignoring articles linked, the dictionary, and arguing on grammar is more fun in the open.

Brian SD

Reaction score
The general weight and feel of the RB Strat is a lot nicer to me than the GH Les Paul (or is it SG now?), but the buttons and trigger are, in my experience, MUCH more responsive on the GH guitar. The GH WT drumset is also really nice (with the symbols and all that jazz), but Rock Band songs are a lot more fun to play, for me at least. Song selection for one, but also the way the tracks are designed to be played as well.

If I had my way, I'd buy the whole GH:WT package, and then buy just the Disc of Rock Band 2, but that's 200$+ right there.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My cousin has the guitar hero guitars/drums which work better than the RB ones imo but I like the RB system better (not sure why) and the songs better. GH has the whole team score notes streak I like that RB doesn't have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads