• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about EBay suits

jbrie645

Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like to take the plunge and purchase some suits on ebay but I'm a little apprehensive of buying knockoffs. I read that often times even sellers with 99.9% ratings may be selling a knockoff. How prevalent are knockoffs and is there any sure fire method for weeding them out? For example, what is the likelihood that the jacket below is a knockoff?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...00008.m2000041

Thanks for the help.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have probably purchased close to 100 suits/SCs on E-Bay over the years. I have never once purchased a knock-off. However, I typically stay away from brands that would be knocked off, like Armani. That inner tag looks good to me, but I will let someone who knows tags give you a more educated decision.

Best tactic is to read the seller's feedback. If he has a history of selling fakes, it is going to show up in his feedback. Also, you may want to try brands that are not typically knocked off...if you are genuinely concerned.

Mike

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's legit.

Some caveats: Vestimenta was the maker of higher end Armani yes, and Vestimenta at the time of this coat (circa 2000) had a broadly similar cut, but this is not Armani.

jbrie645

Reaction score
thanks for the speedy reply. your excellent track record with not getting knock offs is reassuring.

is armani considered one of the more likely knock off brands? which other ones would be likely?
also, would you avoid armani even if the feedback is excellent?

thanks again.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
http://toolhaus.org/ Check the seller's feedback here. It culls all the positives, leaving only negatives and neutrals. Often times, scammers will bury their true sales (garbage knock offs) with phony positives and inflate their feedback ratings. As far as brands go, think of the usual suspects. No one is going to spend the time to knock off an Oxxford, Brooks Brothers, Hickey Freeman as they don't sell for very much. Be wary of Gucci, D&G, Armani. Basically, all the gaudy Italian fashion houses.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Legit Armani comes at all price levels.

It used to be that knockoffs were only of simple items, like tshirts, polos, jeans, neck ties etc. but now it could be anything.

The feedback system on ebay keeps anyone from getting away with this for too long, but some people dispute even authentic items.

So their are no hard and fast rules. If you have a question about an item, first search the forum to find authentic versions of the designers' labels, etc.

Montauk

Reaction score
If you're paying enough for an eBay suit to make it worth a knock-offer's time, you probably paid too much. The real deals are on second-hand stuff anyway.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As already mentioned, the popular Italian brands seem to be the most common knock-offs. Definitely avoid the Ittierre made suits/shirts etc for brands like VJC, D&G, Gucci etc- these are the most common knock-offs.

2nd hand items - you are unlikely to come across a knock-off.

For NWT stuff, get the seller to send you a photo of the tags and labels in the item. If the seller wont, then dont deal with him/her.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for the suit you want, that looks authentic to me.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How come this seller gets to put "VESTIMENTA Giorgio Armani Black Label" but when I put "UNIS skinny corduroy APC" it gets pulled by eBay.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Montauk

Reaction score
I'm going to hazard some unsolicited advice to the OP and say that $300 is a lot to pay for what is a rather dated 90s sportcoat (e.g. unvented, true 3 button). More power to you if that's what you like--the cloth is nice enough--but you could find something similar for much less.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
How come this seller gets to put "VESTIMENTA Giorgio Armani Black Label" but when I put "UNIS skinny corduroy APC" it gets pulled by eBay.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

If you can wiki link an ebay rep proof that both brands are related, they will take the strike off your account and let you relist it. They yanked a pair of Hermes shoes that I put John Lobb in the title, and I sent them the Wikipedia link where it shows that they are related, and they wiped it clean.

That said, I dont know what a UNIS is to APC, but Im guessing based on the Armani example.

jbrie645

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montauk
I'm going to hazard some unsolicited advice to the OP and say that $300 is a lot to pay for what is a rather dated 90s sportcoat (e.g. unvented, true 3 button). More power to you if that's what you like--the cloth is nice enough--but you could find something similar for much less.

I appreciate both unsolicited and solicited advice. is this jacket from the 90's? can you tell that just from the cut? is that how so much of the stuff on ebay is so cheap?

greyinla

Reaction score
is this jacket from the 90's? can you tell that just from the cut? is that how so much of the stuff on ebay is so cheap?

Yes, and yes. That's why it helps if you know a good deal about the brand or product that you are buying. If you are just looking for label X because you have a vague notion it's fashionable, you're likely to end up w/ something dated, overpriced, or not necessarily flattering. On the other hand, if you really like a label because you've been following them the last couple of seasons, know the difference between their various lines, know by experience that their cut suits you, and know typical retail and sales prices, you're more likely to have good luck.

Of course, always pay w/ a credit card and never buy from anyone who doesn't have an easy return policy.

bigj93702

Reaction score
Just wanted to add that eBay has been a gold mine for me - especially suits! Pal Zilleri, Zegna, Brioni and Hickey Freeman - all at around or under the $300 you are considering...

One bad apple was a Moth Eaten suit that made me panic about Moth Larvee (Weevels) - but now I have a Cedar Chest and moth balls for that issue...

I have bought fake Polo Ralph Lauren shirts from eBay thru the years - but never had any knock-off suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads