• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about durability of high-end umbrellas

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been considering a Swaine Adeney Brigg umbrella (probably the Prince of Wales, I love the malacca.. but I dunno) and I've been wondering if they say, flip as easily as cheap umbrellas, break easily, etc.?

Beauty aside, how reliable are these? If I take it outside in a 15 mph wind, is it screwed?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I've been considering a Swaine Adeney Brigg umbrella (probably the Prince of Wales, I love the malacca.. but I dunno) and I've been wondering if they say, flip as easily as cheap umbrellas, break easily, etc.?
God no. You're more likely to blow away like the mean lady in the beginning of the Wizard of Oz than to have the umbrella flip inside out.

Beauty aside, how reliable are these? If I take it outside in a 15 mph wind, is it screwed?
No. See above.

That said, SAB is a hell of a lot of money for an umbrella the main problem with which is losing it or having it stolen.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I've had the same Brigg umbrella since 1990. It's never come close to flipping inside out. Occasionally, a good updraft will make me fear being carried up into the air like Mary Poppins. But I take for granted that it will never flip.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
the main problem is losing it or having it stolen.
I've had both events befall me.
cry.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
£475 for an umbrella ????
alien.gif

I'd rather get an slim fitted trench coat and a good rain hat...

i have lost too many umbrellas to count ...

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually did have a SAB umbrella flip out, but we have some very windy intersections in Boston. 15 knots is nothing.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My last umbrella cost about $40 and lasted me a decade. It only broke when I picked it up one day not realizing the tip was slightly under a chair. The tip hit the ground, the shaft hit the underside of the chair, and it snapped in two. I fail to see the need for an unbrella that costs 100s of dollars when there are perfectly nice looking (this one was forest green, same as my new one), worked well (never popped inside-out) and only costs a fraction.

Just my two cents.

bob

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I fail to see the need for an unbrella that costs 100s of dollars when there are perfectly nice looking (this one was forest green, same as my new one), worked well (never popped inside-out) and only costs a fraction.
Vanity, tradition and fetishism, of course! Of course, being able to get a custom whangee handle with sterling monogrammed collar is nice too...
marchal.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fail to see the need

Need? Who mentioned need?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I fail to see the need for an unbrella that costs 100s of dollars when there are perfectly nice looking (this one was forest green, same as my new one), worked well (never popped inside-out) and only costs a fraction.

This is how my mom feels about clothes and shoes, too.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Need? Who mentioned need?

Okay okay, point taken. I forgot myself for a minute or two there.
smile.gif

bob

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, definitely on the wrong board if you think this is where "need" is required to justify purchases.
wink.gif

Fabro

Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems with the finish on a Brigg umbrella? I have one with a cherry wood handle that has some very fine crazing in the finish, almost like old china. I've been meaning to call them about this, but haven't got around to it. It's one I bought from Classic Luggage in DC.

topbroker

Reaction score
See my post on the other umbrella thread about the insanely durable, wind-resistant, monsoon-protective Nike WindSheer Golf Umbrella I have been carrying for a decade and a half. And which I bought for less than $50.00.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads