• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about different football leagues

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After watching the world cup, I'd like to continue watching some more football. I've already decided to skip watching MLS, and watch either Italian Series A, English Premier League, or Spainish La Lega Primera Division. Which football leagues does everybody follow and why? Are there any differences in styles between the different leagues? Which league is considered to be the best, or have the best players?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by esquire.
After watching the world cup, I'd like to continue watching some more football. I've already decided to skip watching MLS, and watch either Italian Series A, English Premier League, or Spainish La Lega Primera Division. Which football leagues does everybody follow and why? Are there any differences in styles between the different leagues? Which league is considered to be the best, or have the best players?

I watch MLS and the EPL because those are the only ones that are on television here with any regularity here in NJ. The Fox Sports Channel shows about 2 EPL games per day during the regular season. However, they do show 1 or 2 Serie A games during the weekend which I also try to catch. As far as I'm concerned though, the EPL and Serie A are the most exciting leagues anyway (I'm sure others will disagree). Those are the only 2 leagues where I'm familiar with the players on more than 1 team. The Spanish La Liga seems like it might be good, but I'm only familiar with players on a couple of teams. Same thing with the Bundesliga.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While there are certainly differences between them, each league is dominated by a couple of very wealthy teams who tend to win most of the titles. I would think that the deciding factor would be which league can be viewed most readily. Also, if there's a club you choose to support, that will be the league you'd rather watch...

That being said -

Best: Serie A
smile.gif

Most exciting (to neutral observer): EPL

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
romafan is correct in that all the leagues have a subtle difference to them but they're all enjoyable in their own right

the big five are england, italy, spain, germany and france
any of their games are worthwhile

netherlands, portugal, greece and switzerland can also offer some good action provided the top/better teams are playing, otherwise, it can be very dull

as stated above, start watching the league most available in your area

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serie A is okay and I enjoy watching the games, but I feel that the Italian teams play more defensively (just like the Italian national team), so you have a lot more games that end up with lower scores than in the English leagues, where the teams are more offensive minded. If you want to see real high scoring action you might also want to check out the Mexican and Argentinian leagues, which I've watched on occassion on the Spanish channel.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
YSO girls' U-6, baby! High-scoring (no goalies), and no more crying than you'd see in a typical World Cup game - and almost always from a real fall rather than a staged dive. You can score some pretty good leftover halftime and post-game snacks, too, if you're quick.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
AYSO girls' U-6, baby! High-scoring (no goalies), and no more crying than you'd see in a typical World Cup game - and almost always from a real fall rather than a staged dive. You can score some pretty good leftover halftime and post-game snacks, too, if you're quick.

What would really make it cool is if the parents got into fist fights.

mimiki

Reaction score
i think that the most popular would have to be the EPL, the style is faster and i think more interesting as there is more action. Furthermore the coverage is much better quality and the commentry is in english. My next choice would the La Liga as i think they show more individual talent.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
AYSO girls' U-6, baby! High-scoring (no goalies), and no more crying than you'd see in a typical World Cup game - and almost always from a real fall rather than a staged dive. You can score some pretty good leftover halftime and post-game snacks, too, if you're quick.

Hey - so you're the one stealing all the oranges
tounge.gif

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
I am a huge fan of his columns, and while this wasn't one of my favorite, it was quite amusing and a nice roundup on the Premier League.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/060719

tottenham is also my team in england, because of gary lineker.

the best leagues are the spanish and the italian. my team in italy is internazionale milano, aka inter. in spain, i like barcelona.

german soccer bores me to death.

AdamG

Reaction score
La Liga, especially with the recent relegation of Juve, is now the best league in the world, second to the Premier League.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MP and I agree on something--Spurs in the EPL. But I got into them as I did with many other teams, because they had an American, Kasey Keller. But for some reason I still keep an eye on them.

I watch mostly the EPL because of ease. Same with an occassional Bundesliga game. Now that I have GolTV also I can catch some more. Really it all depends on which teams are playing.

The Dutch Eiredivisie (sp?) I'll give a shout-out as being a good one to watch because you get a good look at younger up-and-coming players. It is a common place for younger players to get their development in and then move to the EPL, Serie A, or La Liga.

Be warned, however with the EPL. The big matches in the EPL are seldom available on FSC. They are more likely on PPV. So if Chelsea and Arsenal are playing and you want to watch it, prepare to shell out $15.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot this: give MLS a shot, especially if you have a local team. Sure the league structure is goofy, they make the teams go through play-offs to determine the champion, and the play is not the same as the EPL et al. But they can be fun exciting games.

My local team is DC United so it's easy to cheer for them (they're on a tear again this season). I actually haven't seen a game in ages, but I still try to follow it in the paper.

So give it a shot a couple times (watch DC, New England, both good teams generally).

bob

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads