• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

question about credit

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i had a family member who was having some money troubles, so i ended up helping him out a little bit. i paid his cell phone bill for a couple of months and he would pay me back in cash.

well we did that, it all worked out, i'm glad i could help him out.

BUT, here's the kicker: i was using one of my credit cards to pay his cell phone bill. i did it for a few months in a row, and now the AT&T bill shows up as one of my bills/payments on my creditscoretracker from discover card.

i'm just curious -- is his standing with AT&T now going to be reflected on my credit? the phone and contract is in his name -- not mine -- i just paid the bill for a few months while he was hard up.

i'm just curious if it would affect my credit in any way if he...i don't know, just defaulted on the contract and owed AT&T money or something. i don't think that will happen but i'm just covering all my bases.

thanks guys.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked you were able to actually use a Discover card somewhere.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it was my first credit card, i wanted to start building credit early. it worked.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
I'm shocked you were able to actually use a Discover card somewhere.

What is wrong with Discover card? I try to use mine all the time as they have excellent customer service. I use it for all online purchases as their dispute department is great if I have to dispute something.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure what "creditscoretracker" is, so I can't tell you if it would/should appear there. However, if the At&T account remained solely in his name and all you did was pay the bill, there's no reason the AT&T account should ever show up on your credit report.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
What is wrong with Discover card? I try to use mine all the time as they have excellent customer service. I use it for all online purchases as their dispute department is great if I have to dispute something.
I just like to joke with a friend who tries to use it at restaurants and more often than not gets denied.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely not. His standing with ATT in no way will affect your credit. Don't worry.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If his account info indeed shows up on your credit report, you must contact the credit companies and have it removed. You absolutely do not want to have someone else's payment history show up as yours...a recipe for disaster

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
I just like to joke with a friend who tries to use it at restaurants and more often than not gets denied.

And here I expected a reference to Big Pete's House of Munch.

Peter: "Good evening, welcome to Big Pete's House of Munch, how can I help you?"

Customer: "Yes, do you accept the Discover card?"

Peter (behind podium): "Ha! Hey Lois, 'Diamond Jim Brady' over here just asked if we accept Discover card!"

Lois (from kitchen): "OOOOH, they're in an exclusive club called 'anybody!'"

Peter: "Yeah! No, no no, I don't think so. You know, I would rather take two live chickens than your fly-by-night credit card. I would rather take a jar of pennies that's value is less than the amount of your bill."

Customer: "Well you don't have to insult me!"

Peter: "No, no no, you're gonna stand there and listen to all the funny things I would take instead of your credit card."

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can only assume this creditscoretracker is something Discover has internally but I don't imagine it has anything to do with what's reflected on your credit bureau reports

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have said, if you were just making payments for him, it shouldn't be on your actual credit reports. You can check to make sure it isn't by obtaining yours for free once every 12 months: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp Don't use that site with the singing pirate guy in the commercials as that's just another gimmick to make you pay for what the federal government already mandates you should have for free. (If you want your actual score though, then by all means go to the singing pirate)

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
(If you want your actual score though, then by all means go to the singing pirate)

NO

If you want your actual score you have to get it from myfico.com - this is the only site that will give you your "real" fico score.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
i had a family member who was having some money troubles, so i ended up helping him out a little bit. i paid his cell phone bill for a couple of months and he would pay me back in cash.

Question to our resident lawyers: isn't this theft by conversion?

To the OP, I would look into that but I have no idea what that service you are using is. Why not go to the FICO and Equifax websites and get your free annual report? See if it's on there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads