• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

question about coats for the short and stocky man

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm a relatively short guy - 5'8" and quite stocky as well, around 195-200 lbs. i run and swim and am generally fit, i just have a barrelly chest. i'm wondering what kind of coat would be ideal for my body type. i love the look of some coats i've been seeing online that are cut a bit longer and slimmer, but i am afraid that getting a longer coat even if it fits reasonably well would make me look shorter.

for example i like the way this coat from rugby is cut - long and thin:

but since i'm not long and thin, would something like this make me look foolish?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid you've answered your question given your proportions. :/
Not only that, but the end of the coat would hit you even lower than in the picture with a model that's easy 6'+

Assuming you're happy with your body, I'd take a look at a single breasted, cropped car-coat type deal. That maybe hits you at the top of your thigh and just covers you're butt if it's a wool coat you want (assuming you're wearing it casually and not under suit). Also, make sure it fits well in shoulders and chest. If you buy it bigger to try to hide your size you will just look stubbier.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
I'm afraid you've answered your question given your proportions. :/
Not only that, but the end of the coat would hit you even lower than in the picture with a model that's easy 6'+

sigh. that's what i was afraid of.

Assuming you're happy with your body, I'd take a look at a single breasted, cropped car-coat type deal. That maybe hits you at the top of your thigh and just covers you're butt if it's a wool coat you want (assuming you're wearing it casually and not under suit). Also, make sure it fits well in shoulders and chest.
i'm not particularly thrilled with my body - if i was 6' and 185 i'd be thrilled - but i've never weighed less than 185 no matter how good of shape i'm in (varsity rugby practice 5x/week in HS) so i'm stuck with short and stocky.

If you buy it bigger to try to hide your size you will just look stubbier.
i've frequently made this mistake and am trying to get into wearing clothes that fit me better - i guess this coat is swinging a bit too far the other way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads