• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about cleaning shoes

ganimard

Reaction score
Hello,

i hope some of you can help me with an issue. I have a pair of oxfords and boots, but I always used some cheap stuff on them. In other words, i also applied that stuff in the wrong order. Anyhow, to make a long story short, I have ordered the following items:

1. Lexol cleaner
2. Lexol conditioner
3. Saphir Renovateur
4. Meltonian shoe cream
5. Kiwi wax

Well, that would be it. I also put them in this order because I guess I should use them this way, but I still am not sure how long to let the Saphir R on the shoe before applying the cream. So that is where your help comes, I hope. Anyhow, the pair of oxford shoes is brown, but,as I said I used wax and everything else in a wrong order, so I was putting dark wax to give them a bit of a "tan". While I did give them a bit of a tan, I also made one of them darker, so could you tell me how i could remove that? I hope the lexol cleaner can do that, i have tried with some ordinary soap, but to no avail. The same thing with the boots, they were kind of dark mixed with red, now they are completely dark, again from the wax.

Thank you in advance.

Astaroth

Reaction score
I'm confused, you say you used a darker polish to give them a "tan" but are disappointed because they ended up darker? What do you mean but a tan if not darker than their original colour? Or do you mean more of a tan than you hoped for?

If the Renovateur doesnt remove the polish then the next step up is Saphir Réno'Mat but at this point you need to start being more careful not to remove the original colour too

ganimard

Reaction score
Hi Astaroth,

Yes, I gave them a tan, but one shoe got darker than the other. What I'd like to do is to clean up all that excess of wax and start from new. Also, can anyone tell me how am I suppose to apply Saphir and how long do i let it on ? I assume i apply it with cotton, but I don't know if I'm suppose to let it dry out over night ?!
It would take me at least two weeks to get Saphir Réno'Mat, so I'd like to use what I have now.
By tan I mean darker than original color, which I did succeed in doing, but one shoe is pretty much darker than the other now.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads