• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about career options as a paramedic

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a search and it didn't really turn up the answers that I was looking for...so I'm being a noob and starting a thread
peepwall[1].gif
I have a friend who's looking to quit his day job and become a paramedic. He currently has a regular good 'ole BS, so he'd have to go to school/training first. What kind of career/pay options are there for one. What about as a Medical Transporter or something like that?

Willie5566

Reaction score
Just to be clear you are talking Paramedic vs EMT. EMT is of course easier to get (less training) but also the pay is not as good. Paramedic can make descent money but not great money. Certainly a good living though.

http://www1.salary.com/Paramedic-salary.html

With more advanced training your friend could try to get a job a life flight paramedic/nurse and increase their earning potential.

The downside is it is a very mentally tough job due to what you see on the job. I have had a couple of freinds become paramedics and they have both left the profession. You see some of the worst **** you could ever imagine. From gun shots to domestic abuse of woman and children. Then there is the toll of you not being able to save everyone. Inevitably all paramedics will have people die in their care. It is a no win situation.

Hope this helps.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not go and become a firefighter? Taking all the courses for a paramedic would give you a leg up as a firefighter.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willie5566
The downside is it is a very mentally tough job due to what you see on the job. I have had a couple of freinds become paramedics and they have both left the profession. You see some of the worst **** you could ever imagine. From gun shots to domestic abuse of woman and children. Then there is the toll of you not being able to save everyone. Inevitably all paramedics will have people die in their care. It is a no win situation.

it's not a no win situation. It's just how you deal with it. It's your job, it's not your fault.

that said there are nowhere near as many gun-related deaths here.

Willie5566

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Why not go and become a firefighter? Taking all the courses for a paramedic would give you a leg up as a firefighter.

Well, because it is difficult if not impossible to get on as a paid fireman. I know several that have gone the volunteer route for several years just to get some experience to get a leg up on the few openings that come available. Many times those positions are given based on race and "equal opportunity," which means it is not equal at all.

Originally Posted by hendrix
it's not a no win situation. It's just how you deal with it. It's your job, it's not your fault.

that said there are nowhere near as many gun-related deaths here.

Define "here" and also what is an acceptable amount of gun related deaths. Furthermore, as Archie Bunker put it..."would you rather they be stabbed." In other words, it really does not matter if it is gun related, knife related or any other it is still horrific and takes a toll. Hell, it could be just a bad car accident that kills a family. It's all horrific. You can "deal" with it anyway you want but eventually when you are on the job long enough you end up seeing something that bothers even the most hardened person.

Obviously some people make a career out of it. I would love to see the statistics though of how many drop out vs. sticking with it. My guess is many more do not stick it out and move on. Never-the-less it can be done. You just have to have the stomach for it.

It is not an easy job and I have the utmost respect for those that do it.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
x2 to being near impossible to get a job as a fireman. It's definitely the good ol' boy system and unless you have a close friend or family member who is a fireman you probably aren't getting looked at.

I had a friend who was an EMT. (he's now a firefighter) He has some crazy stories for sure. You can do decent as a paramedic and it is always interesting work. My friend has delivered babies and even brought people back to life on the way to the hospital. I'd say tell your friend to go for it.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willie5566
Well, because it is difficult if not impossible to get on as a paid fireman. I know several that have gone the volunteer route for several years just to get some experience to get a leg up on the few openings that come available. Many times those positions are given based on race and "equal opportunity," which means it is not equal at all.

Originally Posted by Pilot
x2 to being near impossible to get a job as a fireman. It's definitely the good ol' boy system and unless you have a close friend or family member who is a fireman you probably aren't getting looked at.

Where do you guys live? Isn't there a test and based on those results everyone is ranked?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ this was in Central Arkansas

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
A friend of a friend recently finished her training to become a paramedic. She worked 12-14 hour shifts nightly and was just worn out during the entire training process, sounds like hard work.

That said, she feels that the job is incredibly rewarding and helping people in great need of it is quite satisfying.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished up an EMT course myself. It's not much of a commitment to become a paramedic assuming you aren't in dire need of money. EMT course is one semester, accelerated courses are finished in a month. Take the test, work as an EMT for a few months and you can apply to medic school, which lasts 2 years.

The pay for EMTs is total **** but medics make a decent amount and only work about 10 twelve-hour shifts a month. Plenty of time to do other things if you need more money.

I was thinking of doing fire but the culture (from other aspiring firefighters I encountered with class / ridealongs) is just a little too macho and not intellectually stimulating.

Your friend can easily get a taste for EMS by starting with the EMT course. It's easy enough to do a semester that meets every Saturday to get his feet wet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads