• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Brooks Brothers Social Primer blazer

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the Brooks Brothers Social Primer navy blazer. I was in the store here in Toronto today and I tried one on in a size 38 and it felt a little snug in the waist which I thought was weird since it says on their website that its a Fitzgerald fit and all the other Fitzgerald jackets in size 38 fit me perfectly. I asked one of the guys working there what was up with the sizing and he said that it isn't a Fitzgerald fit and that it was a Cambridge.

Do they make the Social Primer blazer in the Cambridge fit or does it only come in Fitzgerald? They only have the Fitz listed on their website.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I'd buy the size that fits you.

+1. I own the blazer and I got it in a size 41S. I'm usually a 40R. I don't think there's a need to try and pin down the cut so long as you find the one that fits you.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd buy the size that fits you.

What excellent advice. I wonder why I didn't think of that before posting.

Its hard to know exactly what size fits you when the information given by the sales associate is potentially wrong and I have no way of trying on another size when they dont have one in stock. If they make the jacket in multiple fits but only sell the Fitz on their site but have a Cambridge in store then I can just order one and be done with it, but if they only make it in Fitz and this particular jacket happens to fit smaller than their usual sizing in that style then I can just look for a different jacket that I like better.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
If you have them order it for you then you don't have to worry about paying shipping. And if it doesn't fit you get to walk out of the store with no problem. Or you can try on another jacket that is for sure Cambridge and see if they fit the same/which size of Cambridge fits you the best. Or you can ask another SA. In any event I don't think it will be that major of an inconvenience to get the fit right or at least answer your question definitively.

I know this is the second season they're offering this blazer, so they may have changed the cut year-over-year. I'm almost 100% sure mine (from last winter) is a Fitz. But it's the only BB tailored item I own, so I wouldn't be able to differentiate between cuts.

Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What excellent advice. I wonder why I didn't think of that before posting.
Its hard to know exactly what size fits you when the information given by the sales associate is potentially wrong and I have no way of trying on another size when they dont have one in stock. If they make the jacket in multiple fits but only sell the Fitz on their site but have a Cambridge in store then I can just order one and be done with it, but if they only make it in Fitz and this particular jacket happens to fit smaller than their usual sizing in that style then I can just look for a different jacket that I like better.

Like the pythagorean theorem, there is no solution.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
FYI, in case you or anyone else is interested in the Cambridge model, Ivy Style has just written a piece on it here. It appears that the cut is brand new and there is no mention of the Social Primer coat at all. Not to mention the price point seems to be higher on all Cambridge models. So I'm assuming (take that with a grain of salt) that the SA was incorrect...

reef

Reaction score
Does anyone know where you can get one of these in a size 39R? Online being sold out obviously. Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads