• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Brooks Brother Extra Slim Fit shrinkage

Steeze

Reaction score
I picked up a couple of these shirts and love the way they fit right off the rack. How much do they typically shrink? And if they shrink a good bit how can I minimize shrinkage? While I'm on the subject, what is the difference between the sport shirts and the dress shirts besides how they are sized. I presume size M= 15 1/2 or so?

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
If the XSF shirts fit exactly how you want OTR, then wash in cold water and hang to dry. You'll need to iron them out after, but that way you won't get a shirt that's too small after one wash. I have all mine drycleaned and this has worked too. I was in the same situation as you - they fit perfectly OTR and I didn't want to lose any size. I made the mistake the first time and I washed in warm water and ran through the dryer....shirt wayyy too small. The shoulders seem to shrink the most FWIW.

swaggerisaliability

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WRAdvisor
If the XSF shirts fit exactly how you want OTR, then wash in cold water and hang to dry. You'll need to iron them out after, but that way you won't get a shirt that's too small after one wash. I have all mine drycleaned and this has worked too. I was in the same situation as you - they fit perfectly OTR and I didn't want to lose any size. I made the mistake the first time and I washed in warm water and ran through the dryer....shirt wayyy too small. The shoulders seem to shrink the most FWIW.

I just made the mistake of washing my new ones in warm water. Will it naturally stretch back out with several wears? Or should I just stretch them back out by hand?
confused.gif

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up. I'm a slim 15 1/2 - 32/33 and the Medium 'Extra Slim Fits' on me fit well in the chest, but the arms were way too long (And I can usually pull off a JCrew Medium which I believe is 34/35 sleeves, although I usually roll them up). For Brooks, I wear a Small 'Slim Fit' and it is PERFECT. Just bought 3 more today actually for their big sale.

RyanAnderson

Reaction score
I bought one online a week or so ago. When it showed up it had a black stain on it, so before returning I figured I'd try to wash it to see if the stain would come out. Without thinking about it I washed warm and put it in the dryer.

Not only did the stain not come out, but the sleeves shrunk >1 inch and the shirt was basically unwearable. luckily they took it back because of the stain.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by swaggerisaliability
I just made the mistake of washing my new ones in warm water. Will it naturally stretch back out with several wears? Or should I just stretch them back out by hand?
confused.gif

It should stretch back out after a couple of wears, but not drastically. I don't like "hand stretching" my shirts because it weakens the fabric. I'd just play it safe and wash in cold water and air dry.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
I always wash in cold water, and I never have a problem with shrinking.

pmowen

Reaction score
Anyone have results from a professional laundry? I have most of my shirts laundered/pressed for me. I haven't noticed alot of shrinkage with other shirts, but I don't have much room for error with the XSF shirts.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to start a new thread on this same topic, but I would like more updated/specific answers.

How does the white BB Supima OCBD (regular cotton not non-iron) stand to shrinking? I usually wash my white shirts in cold water and hang dry, but the sleeves are just long enough and I don't want to lose any length. I am wondering whether I should have gone for a longer sleeve size.

I called and they said the shirts are now on back order until the end of the month, so I would appreciate if anyone could share their experiences. Ultimately I'd like to know if it's worth the trouble of waiting and making an exchange.

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I just ordered a batch of white BB Supima OCBDs today. I searched around on Ask Andy About Clothes and found a couple of threads talking specifically about the white Supima shirts. The consensus over there is that the white does shrink some, more than the other colors. Most people recommended sizing up.

I ordered my normal size. I'm between sizes anyway, so a little shrinkage doesn't bug me. I wash my shirts cold and hang dry, too.

Last edited:

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think ultimately I'm going to baby the shirt I have and order the longer sleeve size in the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads