• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

question about black shoes

kjm

Reaction score
I bought a pair of black AE Park Avenues just before I graduated from college. They were perfect for interviews. I'm now working as a "client-facing engineer/consultant". I want to wear them to the office, but I'm not sure if they're too formal. What do you think? If wearing them is acceptable, what color pants can I wear them with? Thanks.

kjm

Reaction score
Really? No thoughts on this?

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It rather depends on what clothes you normally wear to the office. Nothing could be more appropriate than a pair of PAs when paired with a suit - with business casual, however, they would probably be too formal. Having said that, with dark trousers and a neat shirt, I'm sure they'd look fine.

kjm

Reaction score
I probably have to wear a suit once or twice a quarter. The rest of the time, it's business causal. I'll give it a shot with a pair of charcoal trousers and see how it goes.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO black shoes are fine with casual or formal clothes of any color.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
IMO black shoes are fine with casual or formal clothes of any color.
I personally think the black shoes with chinos (or any light colored trousers) look is terrible.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can wear black shoes with nearly anything. They are seldom the only choice and often not the best, but they will rarely get you into trouble.

wasteland

Reaction score
I would like to hear more thoughts on this. I feel the issue is more balmoral vs. blucher, rather than black vs. another color. I have two pair of bals that I no longer wear with suits, but don't know what else to pair them with. Chinos/cords/jeans just don't look right to me paired up with black bals. Too formal looking for lack of a better word.

Chouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wasteland
I would like to hear more thoughts on this. I feel the issue is more balmoral vs. blucher, rather than black vs. another color. I have two pair of bals that I no longer wear with suits, but don't know what else to pair them with. Chinos/cords/jeans just don't look right to me paired up with black bals. Too formal looking for lack of a better word.

Completely agree, this is exactly the way I always understood it.

Balmorals, especially black, with casual wear can look very odd... derbys/bluchers regardless of their color are perfectly fine, imo.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chouse
Completely agree, this is exactly the way I always understood it.

Balmorals, especially black, with casual wear can look very odd... derbys/bluchers regardless of their color are perfectly fine, imo.

I also agree with this. My black bals are exclusively for suits because they look odd to me otherwise. However, I wear my black bluchers with suits and casual wear.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Gosh, AE Park Avenues are about as inoffensive as shoes can possibly be. In a work environment they give off an air of solid hardworking efficiency. In a situation where you are intending to extract money from someone for your services, they are probably more appropriate than the stylish brown country shoes (i.e. chestnut derbys) that were originally intended for sport and leisure.

The problem is not the black shoes so much, but the other clothes one is compelled to wear in a modern day "business casual" workplace. One is caught between trying to look professional, but not too stuffy or dandified.

Featured Sponsor

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gzisis69