question about B+S, really worn once or twice?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ismelllikepoop, Jun 20, 2010.

1. ismelllikepoop

ismelllikepoop Senior member

Just curious about the buying selling forums. A lot of the posts say "worn once or twice." I know it's a use your own judgment issue, but it seems that with how much wear and scuffing the item has, there's no f-ing way it was worn once unless that one time was walking through a minefield.

2. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Just curious about the buying selling forums. A lot of the posts say "worn once or twice." I know it's a use your own judgment issue, but it seems that with how much wear and scuffing the item has, there's no f-ing way it was worn once unless that one time was walking through a minefield.

One thing to consider is where the seller lives, works and season. Some guy selling dress shoes worn once, but he lives in NYC, walks 20 minutes each way to the subway and went to a bar after work that day during winter will look more beat up than the guy selling his "used once" shoes that lives in a suburban area, only took a few steps from home to car, car to office, and the office is carpeted.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

+1
    [​IMG]

+2

4. Patek14

Patek14 Senior member

+1
    [​IMG]

So I guess every "worn once" shoe seller lives in manhattan and/or walks a long way to work? I don't beleive most of the worn once posts, not by a long shot.

5. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Well you should look at the pics. If the soles show significant scuffage then it's clear the seller isn't being honest and you shouldn't buy. Pics > written description every time.

6. JibranK

JibranK Senior member

7. Viral

Viral Senior member

So I guess every "worn once" shoe seller lives in manhattan and/or walks a long way to work? I don't beleive most of the worn once posts, not by a long shot.
    then don't buy it.

8. jhva3

jhva3 Senior member

I just bought a pair of Ferragamos from louisvilledoc that he said he had worn a few times, and they looked completely brand new when I got them. I've probably made about 20 purchases so far here, and don't have any complaints about the quality of the "used" items I have bought so far.

9. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

What if they were worn once 5 years ago then placed underneath a suitcase in the bottom of a closet?

10. tropics

tropics Senior member

worn once my ass

11. 89826

89826 Senior member

If you are talking about shoes, they get resold for two reasons: fit or style. (Putting aside other, crazy reasons like needing money.) You can usually tell about fit after wearing just a time or two. I myself have sold three pairs of Alden shells because of fit. Alden's lasts vary widely in terms of sizing. Truthfully all had been worn fewer than five times. I think it can take longer to decide you don't like the style.

12. Bull

Bull Senior member

NWT - TRANSLATION - "Wore three times with tags tucked."

"Worn once indoors." - TRANSLATION - "Worn for an entire season."

"Worn two or three times." - TRANSLATION - "Worn for a year, including a dozen times in rain and twice in knee deep snow."

"Worn a few times but lots of use left." - TRANSLATION - "Worn for the last five years. Had them resoled twice. Leather has cracked and I have had them puttied-up and polished. $120-->$110-->$90-->$75 C'MON GUYS, SNAG THEM BEFORE I PUT THEM ON EBAY, WHERE THEY'LL NEVER SELL, EVEN FOR $8!"

p.s. ScarJo...

[​IMG]

13. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Wear on shoes is traditionally measured in pidals. Someone can correct me, but I believe that is half a workday on carpet.

14. Using Technology

Using Technology Senior member

a lot of users are known to sleep in their shoes for months on end so that they can technically sell them as "worn once"

15. Joe Cool

Joe Cool Senior member

Quoted for awesomeness

[​IMG]