• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about an ebay return

Larson McCord

Reaction score
I sold a jacket on Ebay. I clearly listed the dimensions of the jacket. The buyer said it was far too big and returned it. I refunded the cost of the coat but not the shipping. He is now upset and saying I owe him for the return shipping. There was no mistake in the auction listing, he just didn't read it thoroughly. In a case like this should I refund the shipping?

I understand he may leave negative feedback etc but what is the proper course of action?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hell, I wouldn't have accepted the return. You do not owe him shipping.

And in the future, note return conditions on the listing.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
I sold a jacket on Ebay. I clearly listed the dimensions of the jacket. The buyer said it was far too big and returned it. I refunded the cost of the coat but not the shipping. He is now upset and saying I owe him for the return shipping. There was no mistake in the auction listing, he just didn't read it thoroughly. In a case like this should I refund the shipping?

I understand he may leave negative feedback etc but what is the proper course of action?

You have already gone too far in refunding the cost. Refuse the silly person's demand for shipping and if he elects to leave negative feedback you can leave equally adverse feedback about his conduct.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Hell, I wouldn't have accepted the return. You do not owe him shipping.

And in the future, note return conditions on the listing.

my return policy is that they can return but buyer pays shipping unless there is an error in the listing. I am likely going back to a no return policy. He says that the jacket is too big, I listed all of the measurements.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll be able to get that neg removed no problem. Refuse the shipping refund.

yirayira

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
you can leave equally adverse feedback about his conduct.

Seller can now only leave "positive" feedback.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
To clarify, it wasn't the return shipping but the original shipping. He says it didn't cost me anything to ship therefore he's owed the money. I've explained to him that if I refund that money then I'm out shipping charges for an item I did not make a mistake on.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tell him you did him a favor by letting him return it - if he did a SNAD for a fit reason, theres a half decent chance that you would win (all my SNADs I won are for this reason).

In any case - think of it this way - what means more to you - a negative feedback or $10? If the feedback is going to get under your skin, just refund the dude with a smile and move on. If you dont give a ****, tell him to buzz off, block him from your auctions, and be done with it.

Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon
You'll be able to get that neg removed no problem. Refuse the shipping refund.

Originally Posted by yirayira
Seller can now only leave "positive" feedback.

He is the seller.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Tell him you did him a favor by letting him return it - if he did a SNAD for a fit reason, theres a half decent chance that you would win (all my SNADs I won are for this reason).

In any case - think of it this way - what means more to you - a negative feedback or $10? If the feedback is going to get under your skin, just refund the dude with a smile and move on. If you dont give a ****, tell him to buzz off, block him from your auctions, and be done with it.

He is the seller.

I had him cancel the transaction prior to sending him his refund. Can he still leave a negative feedback?

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had him cancel the transaction prior to sending him his refund. Can he still leave a negative feedback?

I'm pretty sure you can still leave a neg after a cancelled transaction.

As I've said - I'm pretty sure you can get the neg removed - especially if he specifically calls you out for refusing to refund shipping.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes. It used to be that you could not, but Im 99% sure you can now.

Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon
I'm pretty sure you can still leave a neg after a cancelled transaction.

As I've said - I'm pretty sure you can get the neg removed - especially if he specifically calls you out for refusing to refund shipping.

^^ Definitely not grounds for neg removal.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...k-removal.html

eBay may remove or adjust Feedback ratings or comments if:
The Feedback contains inappropriate comments, or violates one of our Feedback policies.
At the time the item ended or the Feedback was left, either member participating in the transaction was unable to form a legally binding contract.
Either member provided eBay with an email address that is invalid, and that member could not be contacted at the time of the transaction. See our false or missing contact information policy.
A buyer mistakenly leaves negative or neutral Feedback for the wrong seller, informs eBay of the error, and has left the same Feedback for the intended seller.
A member is suspended by eBay for behavior that we've determined is malicious enough to warrant removing all the negative and neutral Feedback they've left for sellers. Note: If a member is suspended within 90 days of registration, all Feedback left by that member is removed.
eBay is provided with a valid court order requesting Feedback removal.
A buyer fails to respond to a reminder about an unpaid item and the unpaid item is recorded on their account.
A buyer's communication within the Resolution Center undermines the purpose of the unpaid item process and the eBay Feedback system. For example, if a buyer responds to an unpaid item reminder with nonsense text simply to retain the ability to leave Feedback for a seller.
eBay determines at a later date that the seller met the requirements for an automatic 5-star detailed seller rating for the shipping and handling charges category. In these instances, we may adjust the rating to 5 stars.
A buyer leaves a seller negative or neutral Feedback that refers to customs delays or customs fees (see below).

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I doubt that ebay would remove the negative.

I'd refund the shipping if that would help me avoid a negative feedback. However, if the buyer is already sufficiently ticked off, he might leave a negative regardless.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
If a transaction is cancelled prior to the buyer paying for an item, then he will be unable to leave negative feedback. In this case, where the item was paid for, a refund given, and a transaction cancellation done, he will still be able to leave whatever feedback he wants.

I would tell him that you do not believe he is entitled to a refund for shipping as the item was exactly as described, but your feedback is more important to you (if it is) than the cost of shipping so you are willing to refund the cost of shipping only if he leaves you the positive feedback you have earned, first. If he says no then he is going to leave you negative anyway so you might was well tell him to kiss you arse on the shipping refund since he is going to screw you anyway.

While it is true that a Seller cannot leave negative feedback, only positive, if you are very careful with your wording your "positive" feedback can still be quite negative, if you know what I mean? Also, you can reply to the feedback he leaves you and explain what a flagrant douche the guy is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads