• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about altering the collar on a jacket

A-Lawson

Reaction score
Referring to the picture below; how complicated (and expensive) is this alteration for a tailor?

I am not a huge fan of SuitSupply's peak lapels, and wish to make the peaks more pronounced by narrowing the collar as drawn on the picture.

Any advice or experience is much appreciated!

123123.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The lapels have an odd proportion/balance when you compare the peak width to the lapel width. Narrow peak/wide lapel. Not sure adjusting the collar as you marked would change the look in a significant or good way. If you do this, I wouldn't narrow the collar more than 1/4" to avoid the collar looking skimpy and making all the proportions look more distorted. Once you do this, you can't go back without making a new collar. It's not reversible.

If there is enough cloth on the top collar and you found someone willing to take the job, you could restyle the collar and peaks. There would be enough cloth for a new collar if you see outlets under the collar at both ends.

It's very difficult but is the best way to change the style of the peaks. The buttonholes on each lapel may be a problem. They are a very odd placement on the peaks. I can't tell if they are cut thru.
If you have cloth and a tailor willing to do it, would change the angle of the gorge line by dropping it 1/2"-5/8" where it meets the peak. This would make the point 1/2' longer and would make the peak a touch wider and the lapel an equal amount more narrow.
Big job and not sure if it is possible to do but think it would give you the look you want.

A-Lawson

Reaction score
The lapels have an odd proportion/balance when you compare the peak width to the lapel width. Narrow peak/wide lapel. Not sure adjusting the collar as you marked would change the look in a significant or good way. If you do this, I wouldn't narrow the collar more than 1/4" to avoid the collar looking skimpy and making all the proportions look more distorted. Once you do this, you can't go back without making a new collar. It's not reversible.

If there is enough cloth on the top collar and you found someone willing to take the job, you could restyle the collar and peaks. There would be enough cloth for a new collar if you see outlets under the collar at both ends.

It's very difficult but is the best way to change the style of the peaks. The buttonholes on each lapel may be a problem. They are a very odd placement on the peaks. I can't tell if they are cut thru.
If you have cloth and a tailor willing to do it, would change the angle of the gorge line by dropping it 1/2"-5/8" where it meets the peak. This would make the point 1/2' longer and would make the peak a touch wider and the lapel an equal amount more narrow.
Big job and not sure if it is possible to do but think it would give you the look you want.
Thank you for your response!

There is bespoke tailor in my city that may be willing to do it, over the phone he was not really able to understand what I meant though. It seems to be an uncommon request, but I don't doubt that he has the skill to do it.

After some botched photoshopping I changed the look of my own DB-suit and it came out like this.
Are the proportions distorted, or do you think it looks better? It is what I want to achieve with the alteration.

The buttonholes are indeed placed a bit far out, they are cut through though.

The collar would probably be done more rounded as to make it look better in proportion to the lapel.

Before and After:

Before:
IMG_20210924_110626.jpg

After:
1101010101.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@A-Lawson

This is a better angle to see the lapel. What you photoshopped looks good. Would not go more narrow. This is simple to do and not much risk if your tailor is up to it.

Made a sketch of another way to adjust the peak/collar. It is more involved and has a greater risk of error. Red lines are the new shape and angle of the gorge line.

Attachments

• Peak.jpg
    Peak.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 69

A-Lawson

Reaction score
@A-Lawson

This is a better angle to see the lapel. What you photoshopped looks good. Would not go more narrow. This is simple to do and not much risk if your tailor is up to it.

Made a sketch of another way to adjust the peak/collar. It is more involved and has a greater risk of error. Red lines are the new shape and angle of the gorge line.
Thank you very much for the info. :laugh:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's doable and not too complicated. But it is irreversible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads