• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Allen Edmonds Fifth Ave. Fit

etherscreen

Reaction score
hi. these just arrived today.

i have a question about fit. i was measured as a 10.5 D at two local shoe stores that sell higher end shoes. these feel good in the heel. the ball of my foot is at the widest part of the shoe and the shoe creases over this point. i feel a bit of upward pressure in the center of my foot at the same length as the ball of my foot. my big toe is approximately 1 inch from the tip of the shoe.

does this sound right?

thanks!

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been trying on Park Avenues at the local AE retail partner. They're made with the same last at s the Fifth Avenue (5-65). They run long and narrow (you can see a description of the AE lasts on their website; scroll to the bottom of the screen and there is a link called "All About Lasts").

I measure a 11.5C on the AE Fit Guide, but my best fit is in an 11D. I say best fit because they're still not quite right. I may need a 10.5E, dunno.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read through the AE appreciation thread. This is covered in extensive detail multiple times.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen some references on the boards when doing a keyword searches, but only one or two. And even then not too specific. I'll poke around a little more.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have absolutely no clue on whether your shoes fit you or not. Walk around in the shoes on carpet for awhile and see how comfortable they are. If they're comfortable, keep them. If not, try a different size. It's not rocket science.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that is one way of doing it. But just like a suit or dress shirt, a shoe is meant to fit a certain way. Of course, you would have to know what that is.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that is one way of doing it. But just like a suit or dress shirt, a shoe is meant to fit a certain way. Of course, you would have to know what that is.

I was responding to Etherscreen who wanted others to answer whether his shoes fit or not. As for your post, I'm not sure what your question is. My advice on AE's is to get fitted at an AE store or a Nordstrom. If that's not possible, I find the Fifth Avenue, Park Avenue, Strand (5 last shoes) to fit true to size for me. I have bought each in the same 12D that I wear in other shoes and the fit has been great. If you are going to simply order and see if they fit, I would start with your normal size. If the shoe is too tight on the sides (the 5 last is somewhat narrow), try a wider size. If you have too much space in the toes, size down. I would not order a different size shoe based on an on-line size guide.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't asking a question, just commenting on my experience. I did go to Nordstrom for a fitting. But Nordstrom mainly carries C and D widths. The sales staff is on commission so they want to sell what they have on hand. I took the 11Ds home and tried them on a few times with different socks etc. I'm on my way to return them right now actually. I'll have to order a 10.5E for comparison or pick a shoe with a different last. So, yes, I agree trial an error is the simplest approach. Of course, once you find a good fit for the last, it should be easy after that.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Etherscreen, I just exchanged my 11Ds for 10.5Ds at Nordstrom. I would say that my shoes fit about the same way that you describe yours. For me, that's just about right. My little toe is slightly cramped but I can wiggle the other four. Some characteristics will change as the shoe breaks in. As this is my first pair of AEs, I don't know how it will all fall out. But Nordstrom's told me to take thirty days and wear them around. If I don't want them, I can take them back. I can't argue with that.

Post an update if you try something different. And good luck!

etherscreen

Reaction score
i suppose my most pressing question was the feel of the insole around causing a sort of upward pressure. will this conform to the shape of my foot over time? sorry. i'm new to the world of nicer dress shoes.

thanks everyone.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm new myself. My understanding is that the cork midsole will reshape itself during the break in process. I presume this will change the contour of the insole as well. Hence, the Nordstrom's salesman asked me to wear the shoes for a while. Nordstrom has a very generous return policy. Where did you buy your shoes?

I've ordered online from Nordstrom. They include a return label postage paid. Just box up the shoes and slap the label on the outside. Go to the postal service web page and schedule a pick up. No fuss. Something to consider for the future maybe.

In any case, I am going to be wearing my AEs every other day for a few weeks to break them in and see how the insole/midsole turns out. My only experience with cork were the Birkenstocks I wore in college. I noticed that they conformed to the shape of my sole. I expect something similar but not as dramatic with AE. If it works out, great. If not, I'll go back to Nordstrom and see how generous their return policy really is. Either way, I'll post an update in a few weeks if anyone cares to see what develops.

etherscreen

Reaction score
i purchased mine from the AE shoebank at a great piece. i noticed a similar feeling in the park ave. that i tried on at norstrom.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, I've seen several references to the "shoebank" but that's about as much as I know. I paid full retail at Nordstrom, but I wanted the flexibility for return/exchange (which I've already taken advantage of).

If you got your AEs at a good price, stick with it. Wear them every other day for a while if you can. Worst case, post them on eBay or here on the forum. That way you have more information to plan your next purchase.

But I'd still encourage you to post an update after a few weeks of wearing the shoes. I'd like to compare notes.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update, I wore my 10.5D out on the street. They're killing my feet. I can only conclude that they are too narrow. There is a small gap between the insole and the upper in the instep. My flat feet roll over the insole, and the edge digs into my feet. I don't see this going away. I will try the 10.5E and see if the extra 3/16" in girth alleviates the problem and releases my little toe. Of course, the heel will loosen up also, but I am now willing to try an insert to correct that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads