• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about AEs bought off of Ebay

ishakir

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I've recently purchased a pair of Allen Edmonds Delrays. They arrived earlier today and I noticed what appeared to be intentinally placed "holes" on one of the soles. Here are some pictures:

f0q2ak

bqoeyy

I'm not sure why holes like this might be placed on the shoe outside of maybe a plate that was there previously? Is this some sort of marking?

The EBAYer (of course) described the shoe as "barely worn, perfect condition" and failed to illustrate the holes in any of the pictures on the auction
plain.gif

I greatly appreciate your input!

Regards,
Ish

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
That's mark that some retailers place on the shoes to indicate that they were sold at a discount. It keeps you from being able to return or exchange them for a full refund. The don't affect the shoes in any manner.

This is true, but I'd still complain like crazy if they weren't shown or disclosed in the auction.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jreigen
This is true, but I'd still complain like crazy if they weren't shown or disclosed in the auction.
why? If they were sold as new, I could understand. However, a mark on the sole is expected with used shoes. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't sell them on eBay without a picture of the marks, but I don't think there is grounds for a legitimate complaint. If you are buying used AEs on eBay, stuff like this is expected.

Newsman

Reaction score
Use the A&E recrafting service. For $100, they will be good as new.

Brian

xudisco07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jreigen

And that is why you should always ask for pictures of the sole when you buy shoes.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you buying used AEs on ebay? The seconds are like $160 NIB.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most likely they were purchased by seller from Nordstrom Rack.

Because of Nordstrom's very liberal return policy, practically any sort of used items can be returned. The shoes in question were then marked with the two holes as "returns", and sold for a significant reduction.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you buying used AEs on ebay? The seconds are like $160 NIB.
I was always wondering if there was a way to get 2nds online or through the mail? Or do you need to go to a physical factory store?

RangerP

Reaction score
If these were significantly discounted, I wouldn't worry too much about the 2 holes. It won't affect the shoe in anyway.

I'm surprised to hear that you purchased the shoe if there was no picture of the sole however. I would say that it's a little risky. I wouldn't buy a pair of shoes if I couldn't see the soles before buying.

The 2 holes thing is very very common for used AEs on eBay. I would say that most have them. That is my experience anyways.

Also, I like the Delray. Not a bad looking shoe. It's probably one of the 5 AE models that I would wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads