• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about a Brioni tie I saw today

tdial

Reaction score
My wife and I were walking in the mall today and stopped by Neiman's to check out the ties. As we were looking at the Brioni ties, we saw a strange looking quilt like patterned tie (to be truthful, I found it hideous) It was a very thick, four or seven fold (I think 4, though I didn't want to unfold it too much), and probably had 10 different colors. Retail price came in at a staggering $360.

Does anybody know what gives with this? I guess it's probably hand stitched, but it was really REALLY ugly.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen some very interesting ties from Brioni. Some that I liked and others that were outside my tastes. The most interesting was a pleated tie - very dressy somehow. I seem to recall it being around $300. Not sure if I would wear it but definately interesting - I guess I look at too many ties so something different fascinates me - any chance you can get a pic next time?

I do have a great deal of respect for Brioni's innovative ties and they use good silk.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
...Retail price came in at a staggering $360. Does anybody know what gives with this?
A fool and his money are soon parted...
biggrin.gif

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, Alan... I think it goes "A fool and his money are fun to go to Vegas with"

tdial

Reaction score
Good idea. I'll take a pic with my camera phone next time I'm in there (maybe tomorrow at lunch) and post the pic here. I'll also take a picture of a tie that was made for me by a wonderful quiltmaker from a tiny quilting community in rural Alabama (Gee's Bend). It is one of the neatest pieces of clothing I own.

linux_pro

Reaction score
Most of the 7-folds I've seen are ugly, with the exception of Chuck's. I'm not sure that the designers remember that these ties are generally meant to be worn with a suit as business attire.

I've really seen some awful stuff lately - horrid pastel paislies, rainbow-like multi-colored bizarre prints, and some truly offensive things from Zegna (what prevents them from designing an attractive necktie?). I asked one sales person yesterday if they sell much of those ties, and he said the most popular are the obvious: repp ties, more subtle prints, and generally ties with 2-3 or less colors (unless done tastefully). Makes sense to me.

I have to add here that I think Talbott's 7-fold series are truly some of the ugliest designs I have seen (although a few are nice). Do they do this to try to show that these ties are exceptional? A poor way to accomplish that. Some of my most elegant ties are from "lower quality" makers - Brooks Bro's, City of London, Michael Kors, Ike Behar, etc. Of course, one of my most cherished is a 1940's vintage Countess Mara (picked up for $5 at an estate sale - those heathens). Very bold, very simple, and very elegant.

I've had people compliment the cheapest ties, and been asked to remove a Talbott 7-fold before a meeting (my boss's exact words: "Where the f**k did you find that piece of sh*t around your neck? Go put on something appropriate, we have an important meeting in less than 10 minutes."). Thank god, I have a gold Ike Behar in my desk for just such occassions. IMHO, most of the Talbott 7-fold series look as if they belong in the wardrobe of a used-car salesman, along with some polyester pant suits and platform shoes. Sounds as if this Brioni you described falls into a simliar category (although possibly an Ahmish used-car salesman?).

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I were walking in the mall today and stopped by Neiman's to check out the ties. As we were looking at the Brioni ties, we saw a strange looking quilt like patterned tie (to be truthful, I found it hideous) It was a very thick, four or seven fold (I think 4, though I didn't want to unfold it too much), and probably had 10 different colors. Retail price came in at a staggering $360.

Does anybody know what gives with this? I guess it's probably hand stitched, but it was really REALLY ugly.
Yes, it's Santostefano's patch-work quilted tie. Not very crazy about them personally (and certainly not worth the retail price imo)

koji

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I'll also take a picture of a tie that was made for me by a wonderful quiltmaker from a tiny quilting community in rural Alabama (Gee's Bend). It is one of the neatest pieces of clothing I own.
Please do. I'd really like to see it. Do you wear it?

AlanC
(lives in Alabama and has a sister who quilts)

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO, most of the Talbott 7-fold series look as if they belong in the wardrobe of a used-car salesman, along with some polyester pant suits and platform shoes. Sounds as if this Brioni you described falls into a simliar category (although possibly an Ahmish used-car salesman?).
I think you meant a Menonite used-car salesman.

tdial

Reaction score
(tdial @ Feb. 20 2005,17:00) I'll also take a picture of a tie that was made for me by a wonderful quiltmaker from a tiny quilting community in rural Alabama (Gee's Bend). It is one of the neatest pieces of clothing I own.
Please do. I'd really like to see it. Do you wear it? AlanC (lives in Alabama and has a sister who quilts)
I've worn it a couple of times at museum exhibition openings. It's more of a festive tie. I can actually take a picture of this one tonight and post in on here. Will do so in a bit.

tdial

Reaction score
Well, I just decided to go take some pictures of the tie. Here are two, and I apologize for the amateurish photos--yet another reason why I can't post pics of apparel on here. First picture is of the front of the tie. Worn with the right suit and plain colored shirt (I've only worn it with a black pinstriped suit and solid white shirt), it looks gorgeous. And like quilts, the back is as interesting and beautiful as the front:

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it isn't anything that I'd wear; consistency is big to me. If you like it, I'm sure it looks fine, more power to you.

tdial

Reaction score
Well, it isn't anything that I'd wear; consistency is big to me.  If you like it, I'm sure it looks fine, more power to you.
It is a special use tie, for sure. I guess it's also neat knowing the woman who hand made it also has quilts hanging in museums.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads