• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about 2 new suits from NM.

srmd22

Reaction score
photobucket-2044-1342402036705.jpg

photobucket-7150-1342402273366.jpg

I recently purchased these two suits at Neiman Marcus. The grey is a Zegna and the dark charcoal plaid is Armani.

My question is, how do I know they are what the sales guy claims? He was a high pressure, hard-sell type, and, though he seemed to know his stuff (he claimed to have owned his own high quality men's wear store in the past, and was really dramatically against fused, partially or non-canvassed stuff), I am always a bit wary of the high pressure, aggressive sales guys.

He made a big deal of the fact that both suits are fully canvassed, and great deals at half price. The Zegna was on sale for around $1200, and the Armani for something like $800. I was in the market for some high end suits, although I was not really planning on purchasing them that day when I walked into Neiman Marcus. But the sale was ending in a couple of days, and the sales guy said they would be shipped out after that (see what I mean about the hardsell? It worked, lol), so, as I don't get that much time to shop, I sprung for them. He tried to sell me a helluva lot more actually, but I managed to keep it to the two.

I am slightly wary, because lately I have found out that at least Zegna, and probably Armani as well, manufacture lower quality, fused stuff, and I don't know if this could be found in Neiman Marcus. I thought not, given the prices at this place, but how would I know, being new to fine men's wear? Until now I have only worn OTR inexpensive stuff, with a very few exceptions over the years.

The suits both felt awesome in terms of fabric quality, and they fit great OTR. Of course, the tailor marked 'em up good, and I will pick them up next week. They both have soft shoulders, the way I like them, and in contrast to my cheaper guys, which are a bit more padded, and are either fused, or some may be half canvassed.

But I just don't know how to objectively tell, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are generally safe with Zegna *.

Armani Collezioni (I presume that was the suit you got) is more risky although it seems most models I have seen have been canvassed **.

* Only non canvassed Zegna is Z Zegna stuff. I highly doubt that Zegna you bought was this line, more likely Zegna Mainline made in Switzerland. These are decent quality although a little over rated IMO.

** Armani Collezioni is hit and miss although I believe that Armani has jacked up the quality of this label in recent times and most, if not all suits are at least half canvassed, probably fully canvassed.

Just a friendly word of advice though, you did not get a killer deal for these suits. It sounds like the Armani was roughly half price, and the Zegna on a 40% off from full retail. Hang around here for a bit, many here get Zegna suits for $700 or less routinely. Few here go for Armani, but those that do would probably get hold of them in $500 bracket.

Last edited:

srmd22

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I think I am going to try to cancel the order, since they have not yet been altered, and I can get a better deal. I'd rather get a MTM Samuelsohn or a higher quality piece for $2500, then these two suits, I think. Although I may be stuck with them if they won't refund me (unlikelly, I think). I mean, the suits are nice enough, I wouldn't be too upset if I have to keep them, but I'd rather get closer to a "killer deal" ... And I didn't really like the sales guy.

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say though that both suits look reasonably nice to me.

I hear you with SA, I tell them to politely take a hike if they ever come near me (or in other words, I specifically say I am browsing not buying). The cardinal sin is to declare that you intend to buy a suit. That is like smearing yourself in honey next to a hornets nest.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are generally safe with Zegna *.
Armani Collezioni (I presume that was the suit you got) is more risky although it seems most models I have seen have been canvassed **.
* Only non canvassed Zegna is Z Zegna stuff. I highly doubt that Zegna you bought was this line, more likely Zegna Mainline made in Switzerland. These are decent quality although a little over rated IMO.
** Armani Collezioni is hit and miss although I believe that Armani has jacked up the quality of this label in recent times and most, if not all suits are at least half canvassed, probably fully canvassed.
Just a friendly word of advice though, you did not get a killer deal for these suits. It sounds like the Armani was roughly half price, and the Zegna on a 40% off from full retail. Hang around here for a bit, many here get Zegna suits for $700 or less routinely. Few here go for Armani, but those that do would probably get hold of them in $500 bracket.

Totally agree with Klobber.. I bought a Zegna Mainline the other day at a Nordy Rack for roughly $415 here in the bay.. Down from $2700.. trafeo fabric in the milano cut.. I think it was hugely discounted because its a difficult size that had been sitting there for almost a year maybe. A good price for a Zegna would be below a $1000 I think...

srmd22

Reaction score
Finally got my suits back from the tailor. I think folks are right on the money... my untrained pinch testing skills lead me to believe the Zegna is fully canvassed and the Armani is half canvassed, which was confirmed by a separate sales person at NM, as well. About the prices-- maybe you can get them cheaper sometimes, on the bay or sales forums, but that is a different experience. I prefer to touch and feel the suit, try it on, before I buy it, for an OTR product anyway. I could wait around until I am an old man to find a sub-1000 Zegna if I wanted, but I don't.

Unless someone can point me to a seller that sells a variety of this brand for less then a grande, on a regular basis, rather than just the stray one in some random size, here and there (like the above mentioned weird size sitting on the rack for >1yr)? If so, I'd greatly appreciate the tip!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads