• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Quarters"

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The various clothing forums have their own jargon. Case in point: "Open quarters." I haven't found any reference to "quarters," let alone "open quarters," in any glossary of tailoring. (Shoe quarters, on the other hand, are well-established.) I seem to remember Sator saying he knew no mention of it in any of his sources.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
The various clothing forums have their own jargon. Case in point: "Open quarters." I haven't found any reference to "quarters," let alone "open quarters," in any glossary of tailoring. (Shoe quarters, on the other hand, are well-established.) I seem to remember Sator saying he knew no mention of it in any of his sources.

So what's your point? Are you asking what they are or what the origin for the term is?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had not heard the term used until SF. It works in the same way it works for shoes and it is easy to understand as it defines a certain and distinct part of a jacket. Not as controversial as gorge or drape.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I had not heard the term used until SF. It works in the same way it works for shoes and it is easy to understand as it defines a certain and distinct part of a jacket. Not as controversial as gorge or drape.

Gorge and drape, however, are amply referred to outside of SF. The meaning can be unclear, but there's no doubt that they exist as terms. In the real world, however, do tailors and cutters talk about quarters?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Never heard another tailor use the term, but I don't get around much.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Historically, tailors would insert quarters (silvery monies) into the lining of a jacket which upon falling down to the jacket hem would help the jacket fall properly and to create balance. This was mostly done in the front of coats being made since men of yore has much less significant posteriors.

Thus the term, "quarters".

RJE

Reaction score
Every shot I've seen discussing open quarters is SB - their nature lead me to think it had to be SB to have open quarters. Does someone have a photograph which would explain this usage of open quarters: a double-breasted coat with very open front quarters (p120, The Rake, Issue 10).

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Never heard another tailor use the term, but I don't get around much.

Never heard another tailor use the term and I do get around much.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I call it ******, but that's just me. And my skewed perspective.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The traditional term used to talk about how the lower foreparts are drafted is to talk about the amount of "cut-away" (British) or "cutaway" (American):

Cut-Away.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think that the term "eighths" holds great promise for the discussion of jackets for diminutive men.

- B

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought the "lower foreparts" were part of the "skirt".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads