• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quarantine Booze Inventory

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bougbt some del maguey vida on the advice of rick bayless. There will be substantially less tomorrow.
15914611582651012584178000588655.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Del Maguey's mezcal, which is wierd because I don't really like tequila at all. Chichicapa and Minero are wonderful neat and cold, and I use Vida in several cocktails, most notably a Last Word / CR2 mashup that plays it against Carpano Bianco, Chartreuse, Lime, and I really don't remember what else but it's good and I have to find my notes on that.I've had a few other mexcals neat, most notably Illegal Anejo, and I can't say I have anywhere near the love for them as I do for Del Maguey. It is a rare single brand thing for me.

Speaking of nice places to drink, one of the things I miss most about Philly are the abundance of plentiful, cozy, neighborhood bars to drink in. These bars and pubs had character, and I'd usually bump into someone from my block most of the time. Houston is a ******* wasteland for spots like this. Prove me wrong.

Yeah, Philly has a great bar and drinking culture, and while I've only spent limited time in Houston, everything feels kind of....distant. That coziness was not something I ever found. SPTR, the old Ressurection Ale House, Grace, POPE, all good spots. ANd you had the whole spectrum all the way up to high class cocktail, though these days I think the cocktail scene in Philly is subpar compared to its peers -- back around 2010ish when the Franklin was at its height, and you had Farmer's Cabinet, Lemon Hill, Southwark, Chick's, Emmanuelle, Ranstead, Hop Sing just opening, it was a crazy and excellent scene. And of course little Fiume just rocking it their own way. Fiume's still there and I'm sure it has not changed, but other than that the last good drink I had in Philly was at The International in Kensington like a year ago this past April.

~ H

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mezcal is so good neat.

Also i suppose our American brethren we can view any booze purchases for the immediate future either as quarantine purchases or not. Wheeeeee

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I envy you guys who live in states where liquor delivery is an option.

I still gotta mask up and head out, which certainly limits browsing enjoyment.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Are you in a state where all liquor stores are state owned/controlled?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you in a state where all liquor stores are state owned/controlled?

Yes and no. State-wide, no liquor shipments. We actually have county run liquor stores. Other counties in the state have private stores, but still no delivery.

We can at least wine deliveries, which is a step in the right direction.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Abelour A'Bunadh
Balvenie 12 Doublewood
Balvenie 14 Carribean Cask
Balvenie 17 Doublewood
Barrel Bourbon Batch #9
Barrel Bourbon New Year 2017
Basil Hayden Dark Rye
Buffalo Trace Rye Recipe
Buffalo Trace Straight Rye
Buffalo Trace Wheat Recipe
Caol Ila 15 year Unpeated 2016
Glenlivet 18
Glenlivet 21
Jefferson's 16 Presidential
JW Blue Label
Lagavulin 12 Cask Strength 2015
Lagavulin 12 Cask Strength 2016
Macallan 18
Parkers Heritage 24 Yr Bourbon
Shenk's Homestead Kentucky Sour Mash Whiskey 2018
Smooth Ambler 10yr Cask Strength
Smooth Ambler Contradiction

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love Del Maguey's mezcal, which is wierd because I don't really like tequila at all. Chichicapa and Minero are wonderful neat and cold, and I use Vida in several cocktails, most notably a Last Word / CR2 mashup that plays it against Carpano Bianco, Chartreuse, Lime, and I really don't remember what else but it's good and I have to find my notes on that.I've had a few other mexcals neat, most notably Illegal Anejo, and I can't say I have anywhere near the love for them as I do for Del Maguey. It is a rare single brand thing for me.

Yeah, Philly has a great bar and drinking culture, and while I've only spent limited time in Houston, everything feels kind of....distant. That coziness was not something I ever found. SPTR, the old Ressurection Ale House, Grace, POPE, all good spots. ANd you had the whole spectrum all the way up to high class cocktail, though these days I think the cocktail scene in Philly is subpar compared to its peers -- back around 2010ish when the Franklin was at its height, and you had Farmer's Cabinet, Lemon Hill, Southwark, Chick's, Emmanuelle, Ranstead, Hop Sing just opening, it was a crazy and excellent scene. And of course little Fiume just rocking it their own way. Fiume's still there and I'm sure it has not changed, but other than that the last good drink I had in Philly was at The International in Kensington like a year ago this past April.

~ H

We've been here 7 months now and can't stand it. There are parts of Texas that are great, but Houston is just not one of those places.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We've been here 7 months now and can't stand it. There are parts of Texas that are great, but Houston is just not one of those places.
Spent 20 years in Dallas...don’t miss it at all. Agree that other parts of the state are great.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mezcal is so good neat.

Yah, I've been enjoying some Chichicapa over the last few days in a chilled DOF glass, which is great. Also made a killer mezcal negroni variant, 1.5 Vida: 0.75 Gran Classico: 0.375 Martini Gran Rubino: 0.375 Cocchi Vermouth Del Torino. Flamed orange twist. That weird vermough blend helps it sing, but I think regular M&R would stand in either for the Gran Rubino or all of it OK. Plus, I don't really like the Gran Rubino on it's own so it is not a good buy.

I'm back in PA and even though we *have* delivery, I just can't get what I want. I probably could cross the border but too far to go. Plus, I'm not really enjoying browsing in stores for really anything right now.

Sorry to hear it. I had the impression you had two places and bounced back and forth. I never lived in Houston, only visited, but can't imagine that living there would have improved how I felt about it at the time. I may just be too much of a Yankee anyway.

~ H

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yah, I've been enjoying some Chichicapa over the last few days in a chilled DOF glass, which is great. Also made a killer mezcal negroni variant, 1.5 Vida: 0.75 Gran Classico: 0.375 Martini Gran Rubino: 0.375 Cocchi Vermouth Del Torino. Flamed orange twist. That weird vermough blend helps it sing, but I think regular M&R would stand in either for the Gran Rubino or all of it OK. Plus, I don't really like the Gran Rubino on it's own so it is not a good buy.

I'm back in PA and even though we *have* delivery, I just can't get what I want. I probably could cross the border but too far to go. Plus, I'm not really enjoying browsing in stores for really anything right now.

Sorry to hear it. I had the impression you had two places and bounced back and forth. I never lived in Houston, only visited, but can't imagine that living there would have improved how I felt about it at the time. I may just be too much of a Yankee anyway.

~ H

we have a place in Tennessee, but it’s 1,000 miles away, which is a godawful drive and I am not thrilled about flying at the moment so we don’t get there more than every few months at the most. When we were in Philly it was in the 8 to 9 hour range so driving for a week long stay felt right, and I could fly to Knoxville for $250 on most weekends. Houston airport is without a doubt the worst airport I have ever had the misfortune of relying on. You can’t seem to get anywhere direct easily (even New Orleans is harder than it should be) and flights are ridiculously expensive.

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Champagne ~ 90 litres
Sparkling wine ~ 50 litres
Red wine ~ 60 litres
Gin ~ 20 litres
Whiskey ~ 1 litre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads