• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality??

CLaG

Reaction score
I recently purchased a thin sweater that can be worn under a sport coat or blazer. I look at the tag and it said that the sweater was 100% merino wool. Now the question is, what kind of quality is merino wool and what other fabric could it be compared to.

I also have a black shadow striped gaberdine suit and i was also wondering about the fabric's quality.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Merino wool refers to the breed of sheep (Merino) used for the wool fibers. It is generally much finer and softer than regular wool and could be compared in some respects to cashmere. I believe most if not all merino wool comes from Australia and New Zealand and I have heard tales of sheep with little jackets to protect their coats.

What's the question about the suit? Gabardine is a weave of fabric, so it doesn't tell you anything about the quality.

CLaG

Reaction score
Thanks for your fast response. The tag on the suit says it is "Pure New Wool" Someone told me that things that are 100% wool are gaberdine, so that's how the question was formulated. Does that give u enough information to give me more information?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for your fast response. The tag on the suit says it is "Pure New Wool" Someone told me that things that are 100% wool are gaberdine, so that's how the question was formulated. Does that give u enough information to give me more information?
Not really. Someone else here will undoubtedly have more experience with identifying your wool, especially if you can give a brand name and detailed description of the piece. Many suits that don't "feature" (i.e. cost more because of) a really great wool don't seem to advertise their content much. If you have the original sleeve-end tag from the suit, tell us what it says and someone can probably explain it better than I can.

CLaG

Reaction score
I don't have the sleeve tag anymore but like i said, the inside of the jacket has "new pure wool" with a little symbol, it's Fubu, black, shadow striped, 4 button, notch lapel, pleated pants...That's all i can think to tell u about it

Tom

Reaction score
FUBU is not a particularly high end brand, and the wool isn't anything spectacular. FUBU is much more concerned with "looks" than materials. But "Pure New Wool" on the label suggests that it is a durable material. The tag indicates that the garment is not made of recycled (ie: short) wool fibers. New fibers are longer, and make a stronger tighter yarn. I'm sure the wool is fairly standard fair, but as you can probably tell, FUBU makes a perfectly functional garment. Additionally, as was mentioned before, Gabardine is a WEAVE. Garments that are Gabardine can be made of wool, cotton, polyester, or a whole host of other materials. Also, Garments that are wool can be Flannel, Crepe, Boiled, Gabardine, Tweed, or a whole host of other weaves. The two are unrelated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads