• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality v. Quantity

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I'm the opposite. My everyday clothes are generally my nicest ones. Why not maximize the utility of your highest-quality items?
I found myself wanting to think that way for a while. I would realize that I was continually wearing lower quality items and saving the couple good pieces for special occasions.

It's taken me a while to switch over to getting high quality everyday items but it certainly makes going to work more enjoyable.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i mean you can get 3 canalis and still that is considered a quality buy. just a smarter buy according to a certain point of view.

Exactly. There's also the issue of price to quality, and the rates at which they increase. There's absolutely nothing poor quality about a fully canvassed Canali suit, for example. Similarly, AEs aren't Lobbs, but they aren't shoddy shoes, either. Some folks will find it worthwhile to spring for the better-quality Lobbs; others won't.

Most expensive does not equal best value, or even best quality. Just don't buy cheap junk, I say.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
quality - my new year's resolution "les is more"
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this instance I voted to get 3 Canalis over 1 Brioni. I don't think that Brioni is such an improvement over Canali that it warrants such a wide price difference. IIRC 3 Canalis would probably cost more than 1 Brioni anyway!

Now if you said 4 Z Zegnas vs bespoke - that's a different story.

cobrabeebop

Reaction score
Hello to Style Forum. This is my first post. I have been lurking here a while and it has done my appearance quite a bit of good.

I am breaking my silence now because I want to say that I love my Canali suits and Allen Edmonds shoes. They are a huge step up in quality over the Hugo Boss and Johnston & Murphy shoes I was wearing before.

I will probably never buy a Kiton suit or a Brioni either. Although there are some brionis on ehaberdasher.com that are mighty tempting. But even on sale I could get two on sale Canali suits from Bluefly or a Saks sale for the cost of a discount Brioni. It just isn't worth it to me.

I got a great pair of AE monks yesterday for $150 from DSW. No $1,000. John Lobbs for me, although I'm sure they are very nice.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads