• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality turntables with easy speed selection (33/45 rpm)

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off, I am not what most would consider an "audiophile". I love vinyl but listen mainly to pretty lo-fi stuff.

That is not to say that I don't wan't a decent quality turntable, since I spend at least an hour a day listening to records.

My current equipment is garbage. I have been recommended the entry-level Pro-Ject and Rega turntables by friends and have read very good reviews online. The prices are right. I have a budget of around $500.

The problem is the speed selection. I am constantly switching between 33 and 45 rpm and with both the Rega P1 and Pro-Ject Debut III, you have to remove the platter and manually switch the belt from one pulley to another with a little tool.

This does not seem normal to me and would be very irritating.

I know Pro-Ject sells an electronic speedbox, which I imagine has to be housed in a separate casing, and would probably end up costing me at least $250 extra just to be able to easily switch speeds.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance, SF audio geeks.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get a brand-new Technics 1200 for about that price: pssl.com. Or A Numark or Gemini for a bit less. Any of these makers' direct-drive models will just have speed select buttons that you press and the speed changes instantly. No fuss no muss.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Gemini and hate it. I don't need direct drive, but is this the only way I'll get an easy speed change?

I'm looking to step up the quality a bit.

I don't want bells and whistles, just a 33/45 button. That's it.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe your needle and cartridge selection is also relevant to sound quality.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I believe your needle and cartridge selection is also relevant to sound quality.

True. However, putting a great cartridge on a ****** turntable won't work miracles.

On a side note, I must admit that the minimal design of the higher-end tables is very appealing to me, as opposed to the chunky DJ tables with all kinds of knobs and sliders that make me look like I'm into techno or some ****.

sonofstan

Reaction score
I've had a pro-ject for the best part of ten years i think, and it's great - totally reliable, but the speed thing is a major irritation -all my singles have migrated upstairs to the bedroom where thare's a cheap system with a normal speed selector switch: I'm saying, you don't get used to it.....

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Pro-Ject and Rega are fine tables in this price range. I do not recommend Music Hall MMFs or Technics. Probably you can find a used P3 24 for around that price. This is a terrific value table.

You do have to change the speed manually but this is common for the price range. It's very easy so I would not consider this a negative.

Make sure you get a quality cartridge and phono stage. Think of the table as a system.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hunt around for used Dual decks, I had one with easy speed selection and I was happy with it for a long time. Not audiophile quality despite the little 'tags' that they put on but I think it suits your purpose.

redtree00

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Pro-Ject and Rega are fine tables in this price range. I do not recommend Music Hall MMFs or Technics. Probably you can find a used P3 24 for around that price. This is a terrific value table.

You do have to change the speed manually but this is common for the price range. It's very easy so I would not consider this a negative.

Make sure you get a quality cartridge and phono stage. Think of the table as a system.

I have a Music Hall MMF 5, it is made in the same Czech factory as the Pro-Ject TT's.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan

It did seem easy to switch speeds, but it's a time consuming little repetitive task that I know would annoy me like crazy after awhile.

I've seen the Pro-Ject Debut III Phono SB table on some UK sites, which has a built-in phono preamp and electronic speed selector. Does anyone have any experience with this? It was going for around 300 pounds, or $425 US.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redtree00
I have a Music Hall MMF 5, it is made in the same Czech factory as the Pro-Ject TT's.
I know but they have not sounded as good to my ears. Might have been a cartridge issue. At this price point, the Regas are the best I have heard. The new issue of The Absolute Sound is all about analog and covers this stuff in great detail, along with reviews of the Music Hall 2.2 and a Pro-Ject table.

tlmusic

Reaction score
How about a vintage Thorens turntable, such as a TD147 or TD160? They sound in many ways better than entry level Rega and Pro-Ject (yes, I have compared them) and they have a lever to instantly change speeds. They look cool, too. You could find a nice Thorens for under $400. Old Thorens turntables also certainly sound more "Hifi" than a Technics DJ table. But, if you are unsure about used items and want hassle-free good sound (and don't mind adjusting the belt), a new Rega is probably the best option. FWIW, I have to manually adjust the pulley on my Linn LP12 turntable to change the speed. The new Lingo power supply that offers instant speed change would cost me about $1800.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Thorens sounds like a good option. They show up used in shops around here every now and then.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a LP12 and have a Hercules as well as Lingo that's waiting to be installed. I just haven't had the time, plus I've only got the two 45 rpm records.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads